B15 Sentra Forum banner

Catalytic Converter Replacement

12K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  B15-RUBY 
#1 ·
So recently, on my 2003 nissan sentra xe, I took my car in for an inspection and failed due to code P0420. The serviceman there said it was most likely the catalytic converter, and it would have to be replaced. He gave he a quote of $1000 to replace the Cat, and said it would include labor, and the price of the Cat. Is this a reasonable price? And also instead of just getting another OEM cat, would getting a bolt on Highflow cat be cheaper. I can definitely DIY a bolt on.

Thanks

#3 ·
Can you weld? Do you have access to a lift?

1000 sounds high...but I haven't priced out a cat recently....I know for a time, the rare-earth materials we're jacking up the price, but I had heard that it's been dropping....

#5 ·
im working my way up on a full exhaust for install. im around $330 for the full exhaust another $40 for the universal hiflow that needs to be welded in. so yes $1000 is wayyyyyyyyyy toooo high. i would find another mechanic is hes trying to rip you off that bad, even the stealership isnt that bad.
i dont remember what the xe exhaust looks like, but i know there ebay headers for like $150 and catbacks less than $200, a couple of cats and paying someone to install and weld should be like $500-600 not sure why you got double price for 1 piece! So you can get a full exhaust and diy bolt on yourself for half the price, i guess you can figure if one cat is worth the $1000

edit: not sure what your state has for emission or smog, but you will need at least one cat to pass emission, i know the specv comes with 2, so we just delete one or both depending on emission

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.