B15 Sentra Forum banner

Dash lights not working, voltage on dimmer switch?

16K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mre1208 
#1 ·
Hey

So I was installing a new audio headunit in my 2003 Sentra, I couldn't find a wiring harness so I cut mine, and when I cut it the illumination wire touched a ground the lights in the car went on for a second and turned off. I thought nothing of it and finished my install of the headunit. Then a few hours later I went to drive the car and the illumintaion didnt work. I think the dimmer switch is burn't (I checked all the fuses and all are ok). But now on the dimmer switch there are three wires, the yellow/red has 12v when the lights are on, the green/red has 12v when the light are on and the black is ground. It doesn't make sense to me that both wires have voltage, is this right can anyone verify. Also the dimmer switch has resistance in it but it doesn't change when the knob is moved.

#7 ·
Installing aftermarket stereo.

Step 1. Disconnect negative battery terminal.
Step 2. Make sure you do step one.
etc.

;)

#8 ·
melly mel I agree with you just tried to do it too fast, I've installed probably around 20 systems and never had a problem. I always disconnect the positive terminal (negative works too). Installing stuff fast isn't always the best.

I know its definitely the dimmer switch as a lot of accessories are attached to the fuse that lights up the dash lights, such as the trunk, windows, etc... Also I check all my fuses and there all good. I don't know an easy way to check relay's so I didn't check any.

JP check your PM's.

#9 ·
woohoo! digging up a very old thread....I had the wonderful problem of no dash lights, and upon reading this, I pulled out the unit and tried the method of putting the wires to the black, and it worked...so i went to actually place it where i keep the wire permanently and the whole unit stops working before i even get there...i've rewired all the power perfectly, undid the dash lights to see if that would fix it, the fuse(s) are fine...i have NO clue?!?!?!?! wtf?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.