B15 Sentra Forum banner

Easy to change a coil pack?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  3rdgearpull 
#1 ·
My mechanic told me that my misfire problem is due to a bad coil pack. I heard that the part is pretty cheap so I'm thinking about just replacing it myself to save some green. Are there any instructions on how to replace it? Is it simple?

#5 ·
Simple as pie. Just look it over and use good, common sense. Cylinder four is the one on the drivers side of the car. Get it fixed asap. You can overwork your cat and ruin it. Theres a small chance a bad injector will throw the same code. Change your oil after the fix to rid the engine of any fuel dilution.

#7 ·
Would it be easier it you just switch coil packs with another one of the cylinders and see if the code switches to the other cylinder? If the code switches to the other cylinder then you know it is the coil pack. Also pull the spark plug on 4 and see what it looks like.

#8 ·
jcrow said:
Would it be easier it you just switch coil packs with another one of the cylinders and see if the code switches to the other cylinder? If the code switches to the other cylinder then you know it is the coil pack. Also pull the spark plug on 4 and see what it looks like.
Thats a great idea

#9 ·
jcrow said:
I pulled the plug, other then a little soot it looked normal (Not dented or anything), although the other plugs were a little cleaner I'm guessing this is because of the misfiring? I haven't tried switching the packs, I will later tonight, thanks for the tip.

#11 ·
I had the same problem but it turned out to be Cyl 2.

Coil pack is easy as heck to replace , so definately do it yourself.

as once370 wrote, avoid driving it with the misfire because it WILL damage your cat. I was forced to drive about 60 miles with the misfire and now I've got a constant p0420 code (cat below efficiency threshold). The added raw fuel might also contribute to fouling of your O2 sensors which will cause additional problems.

my new coil pack cost about $65 I beleive.

#12 ·
GREEN01GXE said:
I had the same problem but it turned out to be Cyl 2.

Coil pack is easy as heck to replace , so definately do it yourself.

as once370 wrote, avoid driving it with the misfire because it WILL damage your cat. I was forced to drive about 60 miles with the misfire and now I've got a constant p0420 code (cat below efficiency threshold). The added raw fuel might also contribute to fouling of your O2 sensors which will cause additional problems.

my new coil pack cost about $65 I beleive.
I just ordered my coil pack .....it was 70 bux, plus another 80 for the valve cover i needed.....im installing them tomorrow. I had oil in my spark plug...couldnt even see the plug..did a nice tune up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.