B15 Sentra Forum banner

Belt squeak/chirping noise until engine warms up

31K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  ChaseMe 
#1 ·
My car makes this squeak/chirping noise on a cold start and the noise disappears in 3-5 min. I think it's coming from the left side of the engine(belt?). I can only hear it when the engine is idle and the noise is gone at the next signal light. Is something wrong? I started to have this problem when the weather got cold.

#6 ·
My girlfirend has an even squeekier car... 97 Pontiac Sunfire!... Sounded like a beast when all four primaries ripped off of the exhaust manifold flange hahha.

#7 ·
I have/had the same problem with squeaking. The source of squeaking on my car is from my aftermarket pulley and serpentine belt. I re-adjusted the belt over the summer and the squeaking went away...until now :mad:

Belts also tend to squeak when they're wet.

#8 ·
My Spec was doing the same thing. The belt would squeak for a couple of minutes after a cold start. Changed the belt and there is no more squeak.

The thing that pissed me off was that the tensioner was in the middle of the range for the belt tension. Fugger still squeaked anyway.

#9 ·
se owners have it lucky. we can adjust it if it starts getting too bad.. however. if its cold out not matter what you soem times have to deal with squeeks.

belt rubber is similar to any rubber. if its not warmed up. it wont get traction on the accessory pulleys. even with auto tensioners like the spec v's.

#10 ·
Idler pulley. Mine does the same thing. Its already been replaced once, but now the noise is there almost all the time. Its been checked twice by the dealer and is fine, its just really freaking annoying. :mad:

#11 ·
I had that problem on my 2001 GXE. I had a local shop change the belts and now no more annoying squeeking. It will start at to make noises for 2 - 3 minutes. Overtime the squeeky noise will get longer. Anyways, I changed my belts and no more noise.

#12 ·
sorry to bring this thread back but i need some help. I've had the belts changed twice bye the dealer and the third time they finally replaced the idler pulley (QG) and the belt again all due to squeaking. This work was done about 3 weeks ago and now the damn belt squeaks slighty again. Just like before the pulley and belts were changed. How can i tighten the belts on the QG?? I noticed the idler pulley is attached to a long bolt thats goes down right under the alternator. Do i just tighten that a lil? It just got a belt 3 weeks ago so i doubt its glazed............again, but the dealer seems to think it is fine. So i just wanna tighten it till the squeak goes away. HELP me please!!!! i'm so sick of the squeak.

Dan

#13 ·
I've had my belts replaced as well ,the noise on a cold engine is back , I really don't even care ,it seems @ work that most of the cars are complaining about the cold .

#14 ·
i had the same problem. i bought a new belt but never had a chance to change it.
so if anyone wants a brand new belt i have one pm me. for the 2.5

#17 ·
mine was doing it too, i have less than 15k on the car so i new it couldnt be the belt I went the pep boys near me and got some of that stop sqeek grip stuff(i heard it could eat your belts in the long run but i ll put that to the test) ...but the result ...no more squeek

#19 ·
If you have a QG that squeaks when it's wet outside, you just gotta deal with it. My family owns 2 GXE's (my '01 and my sisters '02) and the both squeak like crazy when wet. I've even had new belts do it. A lot of other members have the same problem with the 1.8. If you don't like it, you can always get a new car! :p

#20 ·
It has a little something to do with everything. Dampness,slight misalignment, tightness or looseness, temperature, etc. You may never find the cause. If it buggs you remove-inspect everything and put new belts back on. I've had cars do it and as the weather changed and the belts wore in or whatever..the noise went away and didn't come back.

#21 ·
Welcome to squeak hell. This problem's been reported since the very first Sentra. I know cause I have one of the the very first ones and my belts still squeaks after 2 complete belt changes and an idler pulley change. I learn to live with it cause I refuse to waste any more money on this. Face it, this reflects the quality of our cars. I have a 14 year old protege and the belts are probably 5 years old...guess what...no squeaks.

#24 ·
New belt or if your cheap and want to get away with it for a while, belt dressing or brake fluid. If you do use belt dressing or brake fluid, consider it a temporary fix and plan to change the belt latter. The brake fluid or dressing makes the rubber expand and stops the squeeking. Dont put tons on, just moisten a towel and massage the belt lightly.

If you do this, I would get the new belt and keep it in your trunk until you want to change it, or it fails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.