B15 Sentra Forum banner

Car wont pass inspection, need some suggestions

6K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  undertakernismo 
#1 ·
Ok, so if any of you have seen my threads, you know I've gotten some new pipes in my car. This was to combat the P0402 code. I thought I could just replace the header and all that and all would be good.

This is what I put on:

+ a midpipe

Well I didn't know that that would remove my catalytic converter, nor that it was required for state inspections (I live in VA).

So now my car has a failed inspection and I'm not sure what to do.

Basically from the engine to the resonator all parts are new.

My mechanic says I should just take it to another inspection station (I took it to the dealership because I get free inspections there, and they know my car very well) and they'll probably over look it.

Or I could have the dealership put on a cat for 938$
Or my mechanic could put one on for.... (Idk how much yet)

Kinda backed into a corner here... again...:(

See less See more
#2 ·
why dont you just put your stock cat back on for a minute...go get inspected...then put your aftermarket header back on?

thats what all the cali guys do (me included)

i dont see the issue, unless your threw your stock one away, in that case i have one for sale :) (pm me)

btw, P0402 is EGRC/BPT Valve, that is an failed egr/bpt code, but qr25's dont have an egr...

did you mean P0420? thats the failed cat-code, which would make you want to get a header asap. is that what you meant?

#4 · (Edited)
Like smokeyV said, use the stock manifold for inspection (assuming you failed the visual), inspect the car, and mount the header after you have the stickers on....

If the test you failed was the OBD-II test due to the P0420 code, the best way to bypass that with the header is to use an O2 spacer (either the "ghetto sim" with the spark plug non-foulers or any of the spacers sold on eBay), or to get an O2 simulator (which is what I did) and wire it to the downstream O2 sensor. Should you find someone to overlook the visual test, it will pass the OBD as long as there's no codes stored in the ECU (regardless of MIL status). The other way to pass would be to place a high-flow cat in your midpipe and relocate the downstream O2 sensor to behind the cat. That way you would pass the visual and the OBD with the header....

If VA does the sniffer test the best bet is back to stock.....but I was just checking the procedures for VA emission inspection and you can get the OBD-II test done without doing the sniffer test (like it's done here in PA) so you can do what I said in the paragraph above....

#5 ·
Just have your main cat flanged in.

I've got a 4-1 header, going to stock midpipe/cat into an Apexi Ws2. I've never had a problem.

You're getting whacked on the visual inspection.

I dunno what part of VA you're in, but if you're in Hampton Roads, I reccomend Oceana Muffler. Any good shop can weld in a cat pretty easily, I would imagine.

Edit* Oh Yeah, and after the cats in, make sure they weld in a bung for your second o2 sensor After the cat. Then plug your second sensor in downstream, with a spacer, and that should clear your code. It's an automatic failure if you've got any SES light.

#9 ·
I live in chesapeake, work @ the oceanfront right off 21st st. I think the mechanic still has the parts, so couldn't i just leave my header and have him reinstall the stock midpipe?

this is because you removed emission components, aka, the stock header w/ cat, and the midpipe w/ cat.

you dont wanna get "another" cat welded on, especially into your header, or you will eventually throw the same code and have the same issue.

just PUT YOUR STOCK HEADER AND MIDPIPE BACK ON, then go get inspected. its easy, it will work, it wont cost you anything, and you can put the new header back on right after.
one problem, like I said before I DONT THINK I'M CAPABLE OF DOING THAT MYSELF. I don't want to mess up my engine.

$80 + install isn't that expensive for a universal cat....
He hasn't officially quoted me yet, he was just saying "I believe you can..." so I'm waiting to get a price back from him

#11 ·
I live in chesapeake, work @ the oceanfront right off 21st st. I think the mechanic still has the parts, so couldn't i just leave my header and have him reinstall the stock midpipe?
no, like the above guy said, they wont match up. best thing to do is have your mechanic put BOTH the stock header and midpipe back on. without both, its likely that you wont pass the visual nor the sniffer test.

one problem, like I said before I DONT THINK I'M CAPABLE OF DOING THAT MYSELF. I don't want to mess up my engine.
in that case, you should do a little more research before doing major exhaust changes like this. it would probably save you a good chunk of money in labor.

#13 ·
in that case, you should do a little more research before doing major exhaust changes like this. it would probably save you a good chunk of money in labor.
I research everything I do with my car very thoroughly. For some reason I misunderstood what would be happening here.

#6 ·
I meant P0420, sorry. I already have the o2 spacer installed, so no SES light. And I failed a visual inspection. I had my header installed by my mechanic, I'm not sure if I'm capable of swapping them out myself.

Installing a high flow cat will cost 330$. My mechanic said i can put in a universal for around 80+ install

#7 ·
And I failed a visual inspection.
this is because you removed emission components, aka, the stock header w/ cat, and the midpipe w/ cat.

you dont wanna get "another" cat welded on, especially into your header, or you will eventually throw the same code and have the same issue.

just PUT YOUR STOCK HEADER AND MIDPIPE BACK ON, then go get inspected. its easy, it will work, it wont cost you anything, and you can put the new header back on right after.

#16 ·
not unless you do it illegally.

our stock header contains a catalytic converter, even though a "header" is not illegal, by putting one on (removing the cat), you are technically messing with your emissions components, and THAT is illegal.

any smog tech can look up your car and get information showing it has two cats, if he doesnt see two, you WILL NOT pass. again, this is "legally"

if you know someone, or you have money, you can usually get it taken care of for around 150-200 bucks.

#20 ·
Ok, so you failed the visual inspection. Idk what all these other ppl are telling you, but it doesn't look like you have found a solid, easy, and correct answer.

This is what you need to do. They aren't looking for the catalytic converter in the header, they want to see the cat on the mid pipe. You have 3 options

-Since you have a 4-1 header, put the stock mid pipe back on for the inspection.
-Have the hi flow welded in (on the aftermarket mid pipe)
-Or get someone to weld on the housing for a catalytic converter onto your aftermarket mid pipe so it LOOKS like you have one. A lot of people here in Georgia do this to keep their straight pipe. Lol

I live in GA, and we have the same exact emissions I think. Plug into OBD-II and visual. As long as you don't have an SES light, and it looks like you have a cat on the mid pipe, you pass.

#21 ·
Hey guys, thanks for ur help. I followed my mechanics advice and went to an inspection station that wasn't my dealership. He inspected it in 10 minutes and passed it. He wasn't a shady inspector either, as he failed the 2 cars before me. He didn't even look for the cat. I think he saw that my muffler was stock and that was good enough for him.

#22 ·
He inspected it in 10 minutes and passed it.
Well good, glad to hear everything worked out. Though, you really ought to consider putting a cat in somewhere. You're pouring some harmful stuff into the air. It would suck to be stuck in the HRBT behind your tailpipe....But then again, it sucks to be stuck in the tube anyway so nevermind:p

I'm on Chix beach~If ya ever need any help with anything, hit me up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.