Anitfreeze other than Nissan's [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: Anitfreeze other than Nissan's

Boardridin08
11-13-2003, 11:46 PM
i'm running below the low mark on coolant @ about 5k miles on my V. Is this right?

can i use any antifreeze or should it be the nissan brand.
what type of coolant do u guys suggest?
50% antifreeze, 50% disttiled water right.

Boardridin08
11-14-2003, 12:17 AM
is Prestone ok to use ???

it just says GENUINE NISSAN ANTIFREEZE in the manual.

NISMO82
11-14-2003, 12:36 AM
not sure, i'd call the dealer and ask just to be safe

SpecVcepS
11-14-2003, 12:37 AM
i think i got that orange gm bull**** in mine. i didnt have anything else when i was putting the radiator back in.....wutever, my car hasnt overheated yet :D

GregFarz78
11-14-2003, 12:09 PM
I used some GM dexcool in mine before too b/c it was all I had...worked fine. I flush mine at least once a year anyway.

2K2 Blu SpecV
11-14-2003, 12:14 PM
In the manual it mentions that don't use antifreeze/coolant that contains "x" which will cause rust. I forgot what "x" was. Most auto manufacturers want you to use their stuff. How else would they make extra money on the side? Prestone should be safe... my sis has been using that for years on her Accord and never had a problem.

ZixxSpeed
11-14-2003, 12:23 PM
holy shyt only 5k and already low on coolant, howcome my v doesnt do that?

Sentra-volution
11-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Genuine Nissan Coolant is longlife can't remember the exact mileage. I wouldn't start mixing the two. My friend at the dealer said you can go 100,000km on a change. Weird, but I could have sworn that the bottle said 160,000km????
It's just like Dexcool for longevity, but I'm sure there will be some slight differences in additives.

Boardridin08
11-14-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by ZixxSpeed
holy shyt only 5k and already low on coolant, howcome my v doesnt do that?

i dont know, i use the ac often in cali.

so i should just get some dexcool. i hate going to the dealer, their **** is expensive(i paid $9 for a "genuine nissan oil filter and washer").

i need some answers quick, cause its damn low on the overfill tank.

Muhammad
11-14-2003, 01:46 PM
if your antifreeze is green, get prestone!
if your antifreeze is orange, get the gm stuff!

but never mix or use the wrong color!

Boardridin08
11-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Midnight2001SE

HUH? what does color have to do w/ it?
i have green by the way.

Prestone Longlife?
i read that there r 3 different types of coolants, so is the spec's LONGLIFE?

what if i just got some Redline Water Wetter and then mixed it w/ some distilled water?

SpecVcepS
11-14-2003, 01:52 PM
from my experiences working at a shop..

dont matter what you put in the car....as long as you dont mix different ones (colors)
if it had green, you can still put orange in there, but make sure the green was all flushed out.

audi has a red/pink color.....do not put green or orange in audis.

thats what i went by.

and we never used distilled water for some reason. antifreeze, and get the hose. :D

all that longlife talk is bull****, i would change it every year. only 10 $ a bottle.

DizzyJack
11-14-2003, 01:58 PM
I topped off with some left over long life prestone. I was told it was a big no no, it weakens the nissan stuff. I got paranoid and flush and drained the system and refilled it with nissan long life. The nissan brand was the same price as the prestone.

So, for peace of mind go get yourself a jug of nissan coolant.

Also, VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!! Do not use tap water. Spend the extra $3 dollars on distilled water, otherwise you'll get calcium deposits in your system. My old Mazda protoge was clogged up with this garbage whereas my sentra is clean as a whistle.

Bluese-r
11-14-2003, 03:23 PM

I'll second that!

adc100
11-14-2003, 04:37 PM
I assume that the SE has the same requirements as the Spec. They call for Ethylene Glycol. That is Prestone and most (all) types including DexCool DexCool. The DexCool is siliicate and phosphate free. Of course they tell you to use "Genuine Nissan Coolant" :rolleyes: Just any of them till your hear's content. :D Make you use distilled water (not tap water.)

rede2roll
11-14-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by SpecVcepS
....as long as you dont mix different ones (colors)
if it had green, you can still put orange in there, but make sure the green was all flushed out...

Is it true that if you change from green to orange, you should not go back to green (even with a flush between intervals)?

baby GT-R
11-14-2003, 05:19 PM

but never mix or use the wrong color! ]

So true. If you mix the two its going to turn brown and look like a milk shake and thats not a good thing.

The reason distilled water is used it so that it doesn't rust the radiator, I think.

Boardridin08
11-14-2003, 11:09 PM
i kust went to the dealer and bought a gallon of GENUINE NISSAN COOLANT for $14.00.

not cheap but oh well.

SpecVcepS
11-14-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by rede2roll
Is it true that if you change from green to orange, you should not go back to green (even with a flush between intervals)?

no, if you flush it, you can go back to green.

razz
03-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by rede2roll

I just checked the manual and it says "When adding or replacing coolant, be sure to use only a Genuine Nissan Anti-Freeze coolant (green) or equivalent with the proper mixture ratio of 50% anti-freeze and 50% demineralized or distilled water. The use of other types of coolant solutions or coolant colors, such as orange,
may damage the engine cooling system"

so using other color than green is a no-no?

SpecVcepS
03-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Old thread. Damn.

You can use orange, or green.

I had both in my car. No probelms here. Had green, went to orange. Now back to green. Just make sure you flush out all teh coolant in beteen changes.

Coolant is coolant, all coolants contain Ethylene Glycol dont they.

BMW Coolant Is blueish, and $ 17 a bottle. bah, im glad i didnt spill that much, haha. That car takes 3 gallons of coolant/water.

soupbone
03-07-2004, 09:37 PM
i am about to swap mine....how much of each do you guys put in there>?

SpecVcepS
03-07-2004, 09:41 PM
I would put in a bottle of water wetter, and a 50/50 mix of anti freeze & distilled water.

In a spec, it is 6.8 Liters / or rougly 7 quarts +/-

3.5 quarts of water, 3.5 quarts of coolant, and one bottle of water wetter should do it.

An easier way would be just putting in a gallon of coolant, and topping it off with distilled water. Thats the way i did it.

soupbone
03-07-2004, 09:46 PM
i dont understand what the big deal is with the colors. you guys are talking about it damaging your cooling system...well if you can use both separately, and they are both compatible, it is illogical to say that the two combined are bad...i dont get it.

soupbone
03-07-2004, 11:16 PM
anyone?

placenta
03-07-2004, 11:29 PM
man i should do this soon... my car had its coolant changed once since new.. when i got my new short block.. that was at 11,000 miles.. im at 39,000 miles now.. and i have a few of air pockets.. cuz ive had that temp needle peg to max on a couple cars and its scary stuff.

SpecVcepS
03-08-2004, 06:20 AM
Pick a color, and stick with it. They say that the orange Dexcool is for gm vehicles, but i really dont see a difference between cooling using one or the other.

Y2K SE
03-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by soupbone
i dont understand what the big deal is with the colors. you guys are talking about it damaging your cooling system...well if you can use both separately, and they are both compatible, it is illogical to say that the two combined are bad...i dont get it. Combining them causes them to weaken. You lose the advantages of both.

adc100
03-08-2004, 12:45 PM
All anti-freeze is ethylene glycol. Staying with the same color lets you see if the glycol is degrading. I would avoid the Dexcool.

SilverSleeper86
09-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but I am getting mixed posts.

My manual says '50% Genuine NISSAN ANti-freeze coolant or equivalent and 50% Soft tap water.'

Now that means I can just fill er up with the old hose? I do not if my water source is soft or what. Again, sorry to bring this thread up from the dead.

-Eric

adc100
09-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but I am getting mixed posts.

My manual says '50% Genuine NISSAN ANti-freeze coolant or equivalent and 50% Soft tap water.'

Now that means I can just fill er up with the old hose? I do not if my water source is soft or what. Again, sorry to bring this thread up from the dead.

-Eric

Don't even think of using anything except distilled water. You can get it in any grocery store.

SilverSleeper86
09-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Don't even think of using anything except distilled water. You can get it in any grocery store.

OK Just got confused because people on here say use distilled, and the manual says soft tap water. Hmm could it be they want your car to be fcked up so you come back to them.

pugnex
09-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Distilled water is soft water....;)
Soft means it has no minerals or anything in it where as hard water would be water with iron etc.

SilverSleeper86
09-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Soft means it has no minerals or anything in it where as hard water would be water with iron etc.

D'OH!! :o :o

V-SPECt me
09-05-2005, 06:52 PM
any brand of Coolant that is Ethylene Glycol based will work... but dont mix the colors... and to have ur overflow a lil low with only 5k miles is ok.. it all depends on how u run ur car and how hot it is...went to the track on a hot night and after work the next day notice my overflow was almost empty after being at max line.. when u run hard and hot it spils into the overflow.. and when its hott.. it evaporates a lil out the vent in the bottle..... its ok... i doubt theres anythgin wrong with ur motorand i too work at a dealer and we dont use distilled.. not sure y but we use 50/50 mix with tap waterbut for less then an hour of time and less then 20$ y not flush every yr.. less chence of corsoion... and on a side note.. we dont use nissan coolant we only use prstonewhich i find odd since we being a ALL nissan dealer.. but we have for yrs with no problems

adc100
09-05-2005, 07:21 PM

Yes but "soft" water is not distilled water. :) Go with distilled. :)

pugnex
09-05-2005, 07:33 PM
No, I know, but technically distilled water = soft water...but soft water maybe not be 100% distilled :p
Kinda like how a square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square :)

adc100
09-05-2005, 07:51 PM
No, I know, but technically distilled water = soft water...but soft water maybe not be 100% distilled :p )

Isn't that what I said?? You had to get the last word in ;) But you didn't :D

And RO (Reverse Osmosis) water is fine too. :)

2002XE
09-05-2005, 10:18 PM
I only use autoclaved reverse osmosis distilled water for engine flushes. But when I run low, I use city tap water from my 1893 victorian house (can you say, corroded cast iron pipe). It has 125k miles and seems fine.

I should follow though with more autoclaved ddH2O water though.

Jyik40
09-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Ideally, you should be using de-ionized water but distilled water is second best. When there are free ions (aka minerals) floating around in your coolant, electrolysis is more likely to occur at a faster rate. This is what causes corrosion in cooling systems. This is another reason why rubber coolant hoses rot from the inside out.

Another great coolant to use is Zerex G-05. It is based on HOAT (hybird organic acid technology) and is a good universal coolant to use.

Jay

pugnex
09-08-2005, 07:33 PM
I got Di water at work, I should just take that :p

SR20dee
09-08-2005, 07:37 PM
all this talk about water.. go waterless ;)

www.evanscooling.com :p

adc100
09-09-2005, 05:18 PM
all this talk about water.. go waterless ;)

www.evanscooling.com :p

Well..it might be O.K. stuff. I like the idea that the vapor pressure is low and the boiling point is high. As a practical matter though if you loose a hose or whatever..you are still screwed. Also since it still (probably) expands when heated..it will still run at whatever the cap pressure is ratted for. Also it carries significantly less heat away compared to water/antifreeze. Since radiators are sized for a 50% ethylene glycol/water mix-I don't know if it will run hotter or cooler. I don't see a whole lot of upside for this product. Thats just an opinion though :)

SR20dee
09-09-2005, 05:26 PM
how bout for a guy thats been running it for a year ;)

(cooling seems to be about the same)
(it doesnt really seem to expand very much at all)

if anything else your less likely to have to deal with corrosion at a minimum. And all my testing is absolutely out the window thanks to time and money issues. that and i didnt want to have to deal with coolant yearly.

i forget the outcome of the boiling point at the .9 bar cap and the coolant. but it was something like 370 to 400 degrees..