Grinding noise from the front wheel area [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: Grinding noise from the front wheel area

saint67
03-06-2001, 11:02 PM
Have only had the car for less than a week, so far so good, I love this car. My one concern is that when I start up the car and first start to drive it there is a short grinding noise that sound like it is coming from the front left tire. I read through the owners manual and seen that the ABS will make a noise when it is self adjusting, could that be the noise I am hearing? My old car was a 1986 Fiero Se and of course it didn't have all the bells and whistles that this car has. I just don't know if this is a normal sound or something to be getting on the dealer about. Remember, only happens after initial start up and when I first move the car.
Any imput is appreciated.
Thanks,
Saint.

------------------
2001 SE W/ performance package. 17% tint, Dark charcoal leather interior.

UtahJ
03-07-2001, 09:40 AM
I don't know about the ABS self adjustment, but since your car is so new, it's possible that it is just the brake pads rubbing against the rotors for a couple of seconds.

My rotors were kind of rusty when I bought the car, and it made a similar sound for quite a while. No biggy.

If it continues after you feel the brake pads should have worn in, have the dealer check it out.

Good luck!

------------------
2001 Sentra SE, PP, 5-Speed, Sunroof. No mods yet.

The senior citizen.

saint67
03-07-2001, 07:57 PM
Thanks UTAHJ......

Think I'll leave it for awhile see what happens. If it is still doing it when it's time for the first oil change I'll have them take a look at it.

Thanks again for the reply.

SAINT.....................

------------------
2001 SE Radium W/PP. 17% tint, Dark charcoal leather interior.

roonerd
04-29-2001, 06:01 PM
I've had my 2001 SE for 2 days now and the brakes are definately grinding. I'm pretty sure that the caliper is not releasing on the front left tire, I can feel a groove already on the inside of the rotor. I was going to drive it until the grinding stopped, which only occurs at slow speeds, but since the rotor is groocing I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow morning.
I'll let you know what comes up.

Peace ^^

------------------
2001 Black Out SE PP

i86time
04-29-2001, 06:33 PM
I had the same problem from my right front wheel, but it started about 6 months after I got my car and it stil does it (5 months later). It's really annoying, and I've taken it in twice to them, they found nothing, and pretty much said they didn't hear anything either. When they rotated my tires, they still didn't find anything. At first it creted a small groove in the rotor that I could see, but then it went away. If you do find out what this is, please let me know.

daavikes
04-29-2001, 07:33 PM
On my last car a 92 Bonneville it made the noise you are suggesting only at first start. That also had abs and that's what it was on that car. I don't have abs on my sentra so I couldn't tell you about our cars. Good luck

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1631475&a=12473203&p=46749829&Sequence=0&res=high
2000 Sentra SE PP Black 5 spd aluminum painted calipers, rotors, strut
bar, and polished valve cover. PR CAI on its way

Y2K SE
04-29-2001, 07:42 PM
The initial "clunk" heard when first driving is the ABS system completing its self-test. That is a normal sound.

As for the grinding, ya, sounds like a stuck piston. If it is, make sure your dealership changes both side (driver + passenger)calipers, both rotors (or turns both), and all new brake pads.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave http://ubb.fanasylum.com/smiles/yellow.gif
http://www.netwalk.com/~rberus/Pictures/Sigs/2000sentrasig.jpg

saint67
04-29-2001, 09:16 PM
I took the car to the dealership and had the michanic listen to the clunk noise. He said it was just the ABS doing the "self test" and that it was a little annoying but totaly normal. Hope this clears up any wonderings for fellow ABS owners. :)

------------------
2001 SE, Radium, W/SP. 37% all around tint, Dark charcoal leather
interior.
http://members.tripod.com/bopque/sentra/

i86time
04-30-2001, 09:35 PM
But what about me? I don't have ABS :) Plus it's definitely a grinding, not a clunking.

RadiumSE
05-02-2001, 12:55 PM
I get a grinding when I first start driving after the car has been sitting for a few days. It's definately rust being shed off the rotor. That's normal. Take a walk through a car dealer lot sometime and check out the rotors on the cars sitting there.

Eric

Y2K SE
05-02-2001, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by i86time
But what about me? I don't have ABS :) Plus it's definitely a grinding, not a clunking.

Perhaps the piston in the caliper is releasing the rotor and you are hearing the pad rubbing at speed? That might make a groove the rotor.

i86time
05-02-2001, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Y2K SE
Originally posted by i86time

Perhaps the piston in the caliper is releasing the rotor and you are hearing the pad rubbing at speed? That might make a groove the rotor.

I only hear it starting from a dead stop, and only for a few seconds. It usually makes more noise when I'm turning.

SentraRacer
05-07-2001, 06:43 PM
i hear it when i drive on the highway and then slow down...what's going on?

johnk
05-07-2001, 11:56 PM
Maybe this is the problem...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Service Bulletin Number: NTB00063
Date of Bulletin: 0007
Component: SUSPENSION: INDEPENDENT FRONT
Summary: SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A LOUD SQUEAK OR RATTLE NOISE IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION WHEN MAKING TURNS AT LOW SPEEDS (5 - 10 MPH).

from
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Nissan/bulletins/sentra/2000/1.htm