easist way to get water out of my gas tank... [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: easist way to get water out of my gas tank...

Jack_beene
07-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Well, I have about a half a tank of water. car won't start. very pissed off. what to do? setting the car on fire sounds appealing right now. or the gas station....

QR25SpecV
07-19-2003, 04:24 PM
How did you get a half a tank of water?

Zannus
07-19-2003, 04:25 PM
How did water get in your gas tank anyway?

cyclemut
07-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Well, here's an idea, hotwire the relay for the fuel pump and let the vehicle pump out all of the water itself.
Disconnect the fuel line going to the engine, and turn on the fuel pump.
Won't hurt the pump, as the pump would just think you're on an all day trip.
We had to do that to vehicle's going to indoor shows, as they won't allow anything over 1/8 tank of gas to be inside for fire code in the indoor show areas.

Beau
07-19-2003, 04:51 PM
I think the only way you will get it out is to hotwire the pump or take out the tank and dump it out since these cars probably have protection against people syphoning gas.

grimmspec
07-19-2003, 05:13 PM
Go to auto zone get a few bottles of Coastal waster remover.....its green.......works way way better then that Heet stuff......my Jeep gets really cranky when i get bad gas and this stuff will work wonders.....in my experience.......hope you get it fixed.....

Beau
07-19-2003, 05:18 PM
Interesting, never heard of the stuff or any product like it.

grimmspec
07-19-2003, 05:26 PM
Yeah it works really good......my Jeep was running like crap, cutting out every time i would get to 1/2 tank of gas and and i put 2 bottles of the stuff in and i could hear the engine go from stumbling and running rough right to smooth idle.....i wouldn't have beileved it if i diddn't witness is for myself, its like 1.50 a bottle or something like that....i keep a bottle in the Jeep now for trips....just in case....

Beau
07-19-2003, 05:29 PM
Do you have a leaky tank or something?

grimmspec
07-19-2003, 05:33 PM
No.....I was in Iowa and driving from MO to UT and i had to stop at this small old crappy station and i must have gotten a tank of water i thought i would burn through it but from Iowa all the way to Utah adding Heet every gas stop it was still running like crap till i got to Auto Zone and put in 2 bottles of that stuff.......even a little water in the tank and the Jeep doesen't like it.

ricesux
07-19-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Jack_beene
Well, I have about a half a tank of water.

No amount of Dry Gas or Water Remover will get that much water out. Those products work great to remove condensation and small amounts of water. You just can't remove that many gallons of water with chemicals.

Jack_beene,
How do you know you have that much water in your tank? Also if you do, STOP trying to start your engine. Pumping water into the engine instead of gas can have some VERY bad results. If you have that much water you have to drain the tank. Try siphoning, if you can't, drop the tank and drain completely.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

cyclemut
07-19-2003, 07:07 PM
You won't have to drop it, just take the rear seat bottom out, take the cover plate off and you have access to the tank.
Disconnect the fuel line(s), disconnect the electrical connectors and unbolt the 6 8mm head bolts holding in your fuel pump/sender.
I still think that just using the fuel pump would be the best, as you won't have to undo any interior pieces.

Jack_beene
07-20-2003, 03:03 AM
Do you guys think that the gas station I use is liable to fix this?

cyclemut
07-20-2003, 04:08 AM
Only if you could prove it's really their fault, by having your fuel analyzed.

oki_boy
07-20-2003, 04:38 AM
wouldnt you have to have THEIR fuel analyzed?? im assuming they would use the defense that any schmuck can put water in their tank and blame it on them....

cyclemut
07-20-2003, 05:25 AM
Innocent until proven guilty. You have to prove that they are wrong.
I'm not defending them.
My first car I got because the previous owner of the vehicle filled up his car at a local gas station. Well, the gas station had just had the tanks filled, and the guy doing it put Diesel into the regular gas tank.
The Maverick's owner filled up about an hour after it happened, and the engine quit.
He brought it to the shop I was working at, and eventually couldn't afford to fix the vehicle.
He tried to sue the station, but lost. I don't know why he lost, I was only 15 then. But I remember him cryin to my boss, asking him to help him out, but my boss was a dick, and wouldn't.
That's one of the reasons I originally became a mechanic (besides my Grandpa and Dad being mechs, that is).
Sucks dude, really. I wish you luck, rape 'em if you can. Try this place, and see if they'll do it for you.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/index.html

littledog
07-21-2003, 04:19 AM
So how did you get half a tank of water in your gas tank? Did the gas station sell you water instead of fuel?