Which Manual Transmission Fluid? Redline or Mobil1 [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: Which Manual Transmission Fluid? Redline or Mobil1

maxximtl
01-04-2001, 05:12 PM
Alright, so a lot of people use Redline MTL or MT-90. However, I have read some reports from people who have suffered transmission problems that may have been related to using the fluid. Redline claims that the MTL is not as "slippery" as some other synthetic transmission fluids. I can see their point about the syncho's needing a certain amount of friction, but won't that comprimise the longevity of the rest of the transmission?

Now, Mobil has their synthetic transmission fluid...I think it's acutally an ATF. It appears to go the oppisite direction that Redline went...slippery is better.

So, I guess the question becomes, which would be appropriate?? The reason I am switching is that the car is somewhat difficult to shift when cold. I have a feeling that if it gets really cold (under 15 degrees) the car will be VERY hard to shift.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

adc100
01-04-2001, 07:13 PM
I have not used either product. But I have used the Amsoil gear lube in my Toyota (shudder) 4wdrive. It shifts very well in Winter Time. I would be inclined to go with Mobil 1 as their products are backed by the most research in the industry. Their product is Mobiltrans SHC 50. Obviously this is a 50 wt but fills the bill of GL-1 to GL-4. The recommendation from Nissan is GL-4. This should give excellent economy and shifting. Here's the link: http://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/MobilPDS.nsf/26b7c4b33367a4a086256665004e4266/b0158dc080ba81a0852567b50064cfc1?OpenDocument

Later, Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with Auto

racemann
01-04-2001, 07:57 PM
A little off topic, but I remember reading somewhere that BMW used ATF in one of their MT'd cars. I believe that it may have been the 540.

Trannies are a little out of my league when it comes to the technical side of things. But AT's do run hotter in everyday use than MT's and that is why BMW used it.

------------------
911 / 944 Turbo, F355, F40, early Ferrari's, Z06 Vette, RX7, WRX, Hennesey Viper, 300ZX, AC Cobra, GT40, Copo's, Countach, McLaren F1, '70 Challenger T/A, Parnelli Jones Mustang, any Mustang's up to '69, Eleanor [Gone 60 sec], whatever Carroll Shelby touches...
oh...I'm supposed to list the car I HAVE, not what I would LIKE to have! :)

maxximtl
01-04-2001, 11:04 PM
I checked out that Mobiltrans shc 50, and it looks promising...except for one thing. It is a commerical vehicle (semi truck) lubricant. Would this be appropriate for a passenger car? Plus, where would I buy it?

To further complicate things the guys on contour.org are using a cocktail of Mobil1 ATF and a special Ford Friction Modifier that you can buy on it's own. Gees, this isn't getting any easier. Maybe I'm better off with whatever Nissan put in.

I too was a little surprised that you can run ATF in a manual transmission. I guess they are really doing the same thing though. Hmmm....I may have to do some more research on this one.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

[This message has been edited by maxximtl (edited January 05, 2001).]

2000SE
01-05-2001, 11:14 AM
REDLINE, hands down. i've had great experience witht the stuff. when it warms up a bit, it will be in the SE.

------------------
MY PAGE (http://www.geocities.com/sr20depower)
http://www.geocities.com/sr20depower/skullsmoke.gif

adc100
01-05-2001, 07:16 PM
I would call 1-800-askmobil to find the stuff. I have purchased some commercial lubs from EXXON in my area(Harrisburg). Check yellow pages under "Lubrication" or "Industrial" if I remember correctly. That link mentioned: "Mobiltrans SHC 50 is recommended for year-round lubrication of automotive manual transmissions in light-duty to extremely heavy-duty on-highway vehicles and off-highway equipment". I would be extremely nervous about using other than a GL-4 or 75W-90 which is recommended (ie. ATF). My '88 Ranger used ATF in the Manual Trans and Transfer Case, but that was the recommendation. The ATF may not protect the gearing configuration in the Sentra. 2000SE has experience with Redline, I can't argue against it.

Later,
Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with Auto

maxximtl
01-06-2001, 11:42 AM
I called Mobil yesterday, but the guy couldn't answer my question about what fluid would be appropriate. The dept. he referred me to is closed on the weekends, so I will have to wait until Monday.

I read up on the SHC 50, but I am wondering if it is the correct viscosity. further down on the page, they mentioned another version that was a 75W-90....which is what Nissan recommends. Oh well, I'll have to talk to Mobil about it on Monday. Who would have thought it would be this hard!

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

maxximtl
01-08-2001, 10:52 AM
I just got off the phone with Mobil. They said they DO NOT manufacture a transmission fluid that meets the GL-4 spec. that the Sentra requires. They DO NOT recommend using any of their fluids for the Sentra Manual transmission.

This is really getting interesting. I re-checked into Redline's product line, and it looks like the MT-90 is the best fit for our transmission. It is a GL-4, 75W-90 fluid. It doesn't look like the MTL would be appropriate for our car since it is a lower viscosity oil. Luckily, I have a Redline dealer right around the corner from where I work.
------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

[This message has been edited by maxximtl (edited January 08, 2001).]

ChinoTooNice
01-08-2001, 11:31 AM
When do you change your trans. fluid? I haven't touched the bastard yet.

------------------
"You can catch me on the NJ Parkway, I'm always there, just keep
a lookout." "Holla back, ya heard?!?"
------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/PP Granite, Manual,
Tinted Windows, Alpine CDA-7965 Unit,
PPI PC6600 Amp
http://www.deafavenue.com/images/sentra/side.jpg

maxximtl
01-08-2001, 12:04 PM
I'm gonna change it out next weekend. Like I said before, I'm experiencing difficulty shifting when the car is cold. As the drivetrain warms up, shifting improves. I believe switching to a synthetic lubricant would greatly improve transmission performance in cold weather before everything reaches operating temperature.

The coldest period in Colorado is still in front of us, so I thought I'd get this taken care of before it starts bothering me.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

96Sentra
01-30-2001, 11:34 PM
I have heard of people using motor oil, ATF, and other stuff???

------------------
1996 Sentra (B13)
K&N WAI ,Pacesetter Headers, ES Torque Mounts, Custom Grill, Clear Corners, Custom Clear Side Markers, SuperMag Silicon Spark Plug Wires, 3ARacing Pedals, Breather filter, Leather shift knob,

[This message has been edited by 96Sentra (edited January 30, 2001).]

2000SE
01-31-2001, 07:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 96Sentra:
I have heard of people using motor oil, ATF, and other stuff???

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it depends on the car. for instance, my old rex called for motor oil as a tranny lube.

------------------
MY PAGE (http://www.geocities.com/sr20depower)

SE-Racer
01-31-2001, 09:22 AM
Redline!!! That stuff is "POISON" for
cars. NEVER EVER use that S#*T on your sentras, especialy on a new $17000 cars.
I had RL mt-90 for 13 months in my 91 sentra had nothing but Hard and Sticky
shifts. I put some regular 75-90 GL-4
oil back in the tanny, (((HOLY S#*T)))
do I have a new tanny or what.....
my tanny feels new again!!!!
Stay away from redline ,that stuff is
BAD,BAD BAAAAD for your car.

------------------

SE-Racer
91sentra/w some "tweaks"

ChinoTooNice
01-31-2001, 09:32 AM
I don't know, Redline.

------------------
"ya nahmean?"
------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/PP Granite, Manual,
20% Tinted Windows, Alpine CDA-7965
Unit, PPI PC6600 Amp, Custom Short Shifter
http://www.deafavenue.com/images/sentra/hit.jpg
Waamm!
chinotoonice@aol.com

REV4EVR
02-03-2001, 10:23 AM
I used Redline in my 85 Supra and it was great. No problems, plus it seemed to lower the temperature a bit. (less friction?) I wonder if a FWD transaxle is different enough that this stuff may have negative effects...Chino, I change my M/T fluid every 30,000 or so, my automatic, I change every 15,000, but I also drive very hard. I't's good insurance.

------------------
I wish my garage included '67 Toyota 2000GT, several years of 240Zs, my crunched '85 Supra, the last Supra and 300ZX Turbos, Lotus Elise, and my first, a '79 Celica GT.

maxximtl
02-03-2001, 11:17 AM
This Redline issue really bugs me. It seems that people either love it or hate it. I guess what it comes down to is that I have been unable to find any other synthetic fluid that meets our Gl-4 75W-90 specification.

I might try out the Redline to see how it works. Heck, it's like 7 bucks a quart, but I am willing to give it a shot.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (On The Way!!)
- Hotshot CAI (At The Coaters.)

adc100
02-04-2001, 05:42 AM
I think that using syn in auto or manual makes sense. I also noticed a lower operating temperature in an auto trans in a Corsica after adding the Mobil 1 ATF. After using syn in manual transaxel it probably is unnecessary to ever change again. Transmissions are a bad subjuec for me now though. My SE is in the shop after 400 miles having the Torque converter and Tranny torn apart. http://www.b15sentra.net/cgi-bin/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with Auto

maxximtl
02-07-2001, 05:50 PM
It looks like there might be another choice in the transmission fluid battle.

BG makes a fluid called "synchro shift" specifically designed for manual transmissions. The DSM guys swear by this stuff. BG's website doesn't have much of any info. on this, but I think it is worth looking into.

The only bad part is the price. The stuff retails for around $14 per quart!

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------

adc100
02-09-2001, 05:54 AM
maxximtl:

Thats an awful lot of money to spend for a product that may not have the track record of say Mobil, Amzoil, Redline, etc. I never heard of it but then again, I'm not into the performance loop. I would though pay the money if I knew it was the best stuff you can buy. When it comes to lubricants I figure I can/should buy the best for my baby. I use Mobil 1 in the engine and probably will go with the Mobil 1 syn in the transmission (auto).

Later

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with Auto

maxximtl
02-09-2001, 11:00 AM
Believe me, I am not about to put some mystery fluid in the transmission. I'd like to go with a company that has a good reputation. It is still beyond me why Mobil 1 doesn't make a GL-4 transmission fluid.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------

REV4EVR
02-09-2001, 12:14 PM
Hey, just keeping the fluid CHANGED at regular intervals with a conventional fluid will probably be more than fine. Just my opinion.

------------------
I wish my garage included '67 Toyota 2000GT, several years of 240Zs, my crunched '85 Supra, the last Supra and 300ZX Turbos, Lotus Elise, and my first, a '79 Celica GT.