Brake Fluid Change [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: Brake Fluid Change

sierra248
11-23-2002, 03:00 AM
Doing allot of work on car over holidays, how many bottles of 12oz Brake Fluid(Synpower) should i need to completly change fluid.

adc100
11-23-2002, 03:59 AM
I bought 32 oz. and have about half left. You might get away with 1, but its a bitch to stop the job and go for more. Its not really that expensive. I also went with the synpower.

Al

sierra248
11-23-2002, 02:01 PM
When i do a brake fluid change, is it going to change the clutch fluid to change also. Was just looking under hood and have 2 brake fluid reservoir's, one on master cylinder and one little one next to it. Do I have to do anything specificically different then just a brake fluid change to change the clutch fluid also? When I start bleeding brakes are both reservoirs going to go down? Thanks guys, I swear this is my last FLUID CHANGE question......
Tom

Kimchee76
11-23-2002, 09:05 PM
My car is about 2 years old and has about 17k miles on it. I have never changed brake or steering fluid, just topping it off. I wish there was a 101 on fluid changes here at the forum. Is it necessary to change brake & steering fluid? Why are people changing their transmission fluid to MT90, is that a Motul brand or Redline? Is there a real need for fuel injector or radiator flusing be done at the dealership with their so called kool machine? Synthetic brake/steering/transmission fluid?

adc100
11-24-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Kimchee76
My car is about 2 years old and has about 17k miles on it. I have never changed brake or steering fluid, just topping it off. I wish there was a 101 on fluid changes here at the forum. Is it necessary to change brake & steering fluid? Why are people changing their transmission fluid to MT90, is that a Motul brand or Redline? Is there a real need for fuel injector or radiator flusing be done at the dealership with their so called kool machine? Synthetic brake/steering/transmission fluid?

There is info here on this stuff-you can do a search for more detail. You really don't need to change these fluids for about 50K miles. Brake, steering, and hydraulic clutch-some people never change them except when you replace brakes. Its good policy though to replace these three though.

Transmission-people go with Redline for a better shift (supposedly) I am not sure if the MT90 is a specific name- I believe it's Redlines name for their "Manual Transmission, 90 Weight oil. You can go well past 50K on a tranny oil change. I have gone over 100K in the past. I wouldn't do it now.

As far as Radiator-The manual (For the SE) calls for 60K the first time and 30K thereafter. You don't need to have the dealer do it. Personally (some will disagree)/ I drain it and refill with say 25% amtifreeze and drive it for a couple of days and then drain and refill to the proper concentration. Use only distilled or demineralized water. I would recommend doing it well before 60K though.

sierra248
11-24-2002, 08:28 AM
anyone know about the clutch reservoir i mentioned. Thanks adc for all your help.

Lee
11-24-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by sierra248
When i do a brake fluid change, is it going to change the clutch fluid to change also. Was just looking under hood and have 2 brake fluid reservoir's, one on master cylinder and one little one next to it.

the bigger one is the master cylinder and the smaller one is the slave cylinder. [hydraulic clutch]

[b]Do I have to do anything specificically different then just a brake fluid change to change the clutch fluid also? When I start bleeding brakes are both reservoirs going to go down? Thanks guys, I swear this is my last FLUID CHANGE question......
Tom

Both resovoirs won't go down since only one is for the brakes. ;) when flushing the brake system, start at the right rear, then left rear, then right fron, then left front. It is general protocol to start at the furthest point from the master cylinder. (IE: right rear) MAke sure to keep an eye on the resovoir and not to let it go empty. A hand pump flusher works wonders and makes flushing alot easier. Makes it an easier one man job.

sierra248
11-24-2002, 10:34 AM
Is there a way to change the clutch fluid too?

sierra248
11-25-2002, 10:27 AM
Anyone donw this or know?

deadrx7conv
11-26-2002, 07:53 PM
You must bleed your brakes with every brake job or if you touch any part of the brake hydraulics.
You must bleed your clutch with every clutch job or if you service any part of the clutch hydraulics.
You should bleed the clutch if you grind gears or if the clutch pedal feels spongy.
You should bleed the brakes if your pedal hits the floor, or feels soft or spongy.
You should siphon/replace old fluid before bleeding.
FWD cars usually have brakes bled/linked in a crisscross pattern(Leftrear,Rightfront,Rightrear,Leftfront).
RWD cars(with single line feeding combined rear brakes) usually follow the traditional method (farthest from master cylinder first).
Some ABS cars require the vehicle to be running during bleeding.

If you are not experiencing any problems, don't break something not broken.

Osmosis is fine for brake/clutch fluid maintenance when you don't know how to bleed and there are no issues.
You could use a mechanics syringe to remove old fluid from both reservoirs and then just top off with new fluid. If you do this at every oil change, you usually won't need to do any non-scheduled bleeding. This will help keep the moisture level low which is usually the only problem with brake fluid.

www.speedbleeder.com

For the power steering, siphon old fluid out of PS reservoir and top off. This too can be done with each oil change. Very simple and consistently keeps the fluid fresh.

There is no need to visit the dealer.

Synthetics are for people who want to squeeze every last ounce of performance or longevity out of the components.

I drain/refill my radiator every year regardless of mileage. My Sentras and Maxima had 200k miles on the original radiator/waterpump. The coolant looked as good as new when totalled or handed away.
A gallon of antifreeze & distilled water work wonders for simple effective maintenance. I never needed to flush the radiator/engine block or use chemicals because there was never any buildup in the cooling system. I use Prestone(yellow bottle). Avoid extended life(silverbottle) coolant. Stick with one brand for the life of the vehicle.
Ask the dealer what their definition of equivalent antifreeze is? Or just use the overpriced Nissan antifreeze.

A bottle of fuel injector cleaner added to gas, with each oil change, can prevent the need for professional FI cleaning. Try to vary brands.

Some gear oils make the manual transmission shift better. I have always switched to Redline MT90.

ATF degrades/saturates quickly and should be changed or replaced with a mileage or time interval. Start a schedule and stick to it.

sierra248
11-26-2002, 10:39 PM
Anyone know exactly how to bleed the Clutch system?

Lee
11-27-2002, 07:36 AM
http://www.b15sentra.net/lee/clutch_bleed.jpg

sierra248
11-27-2002, 07:47 AM
you rock, thx man.