How much engine oil does the 1.8L sentra gxe? [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: How much engine oil does the 1.8L sentra gxe?

TonyNG
08-07-2002, 09:24 AM
How much enige oil does the 1.8L sentra gxe?
I put 4 quart of Mobil and don't know if it's overfill or not.

2001 sentra gxe

Muhammad
08-07-2002, 09:30 AM
That should be fine.

stuofsci02
08-07-2002, 09:33 AM
Look in your owners manual. It tell you how much you need with a new filter and without. It is far easier to find out how much you need and put in exactly that much than guess. 4 quarts might be a bit much actually. I know my sr20de takes in the 3.8L range and I would assume the 1.8 to be less. Check the manual is my recommendation. I believe it is in chapter 10

Shoplift82
08-07-2002, 09:59 AM
read ur dipstick, if it is over the full line, then you've put to much in. i usually eyeball mine, which comes out to be around 3.6Quarts. remember, adding to much oil can be just as bad as adding to little in some cases.

brads sentra
08-07-2002, 12:06 PM
Owners manual says 2 7/8 with a filter change also. I think that 3.6 may be a bit too much.

ZHSSKZ
08-07-2002, 12:23 PM
When I change my oil...I check to see that there is little to no oil left on a WIPED dipstick...thenI put just three quarts in directly after the change so that the motor can move the oil arround and lubricate. I rev the motor on and off for about 10 seconds then I let it sit at idle for about 5 minutes.While it is in idle I constantly check the oil level to make sure i am see an increase from before. I shut the car off for about 10 minutes, Measure the lever again, and then I take it for a drive. When i get back I check to see how much i need to make it full and I put what ever is needed. You Dont Want Too Much Oil In The Motor! Continue to check your oil at cool temperatures throughout the day before starting the motor so that YOU know for sure where the oil is. After that it should be cool. You really have to put as much as it needs because if you change your own oil you dont know how much oil you have actually dranied...granted you cannot drain the oil entirely. Ive been changing the oil on my 1.8 for about 2 years now and I have had no problems!

-gil-

jon4130
08-07-2002, 07:06 PM
mine always takes right under 3 quarts, and i have never burned oil in my cars life to my knowledge

chimmike
08-07-2002, 07:09 PM
according to Nissan.....the QG should take exactly 3.5 quarts......no more, and no less.

johnk
08-07-2002, 08:39 PM
The users manual (2000 dead tree, 2000 pdf, 2001 pdf, 2002 pdf, 2003 pdf) says 2 5/8 without a filter change, and 2 7/8 with a filter change.

On mine 2 7/8 of Mobil-1 brings up near the top of the dipstick hatched area.

Overfilling is bad. It can cause a pressure buildup that can make the crank seals fail. It also hurts performance.

chimmike
08-07-2002, 08:41 PM
maybe my 2001 manual is different, but each time I get my oil changed at Nissan they put 3.5 qts in and it is right smack dab in the middle..where it should be. Strange, eh?

johnk
08-07-2002, 08:50 PM
very strange. I remember you saying this before. Have you done a change yourself?

akula
08-07-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by chimmike
according to Nissan.....the QG should take exactly 3.5 quarts......no more, and no less.

Every engine is different. I have 2 B13s with the GA16 that take different amounts to get them up to "full." The variance is less than a quart, but you have to get to know your own engine. The number in the book is usually pretty close. My QR25 says 4.5qt, but I always put in about 4 and then check it. 4 is usually enough to get it just about to the full mark. Good enough for me.

silRturBO
08-09-2002, 08:31 PM
3 quarts is good enough, if you read the manual it actually needs
2 and 7/8 quarts, many ppl are amazed how little our engine needs oil

MyGXEisFaster
08-09-2002, 08:46 PM
maybe my 2001 manual is different, but each time I get my oil changed at Nissan they put 3.5 qts in and it is right smack dab in the middle..where it should be. Strange, eh?

same hear, the manual does say differently though

adc100
08-09-2002, 10:07 PM

Thats what the numbers in the manual are based on. If its not up to full-add more oil.

gxenut
08-09-2002, 10:29 PM
gives you a little to burn without being low until next change, i always put exactly 3 in mine and the dipstick reads perfect every time. Be careful though, some oil change shops don't have accurate databases on what cars get what amount, stand over them like an effing hawk.

BestNissanParts
08-11-2002, 10:37 AM
It takes 3.7 Quarts. Check your dipstick to see if you have enough, or if it is overfilled.

We are Louisiana's largest Nissan dealer in Nissan cars, trucks, and SUV's.
We service around 250 cars a week.

Best of Luck,
The Ray Brandt Nissan Answer Guys
----------------------------------
Answering you technical Nissan questions using over 50 years combined experience.
Ray Brandt Nissan (http://www.raybrandtnissan.net)

Top quality OEM Nissan parts:
Best Nissan Parts (http:\\www.bestnissanparts.com)

TonyNG
08-11-2002, 12:05 PM
some say around 4 quart, and some say around 3 quart?
How should I choose?

BestNissanParts
08-11-2002, 12:22 PM
The most important thing to do is to know your own car by monitoring the dipstick carefully.

We put 3.7 quarts in when we get this type of engine into our shop for oil changes.

Warm Regards,
Answering you technical Nissan questions using over 50 years combined experience.

www.bestnissanparts.com (http:\\Best Nissan Parts

adc100
08-11-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by BestNissanParts
The most important thing to do is to know your own car by monitoring the dipstick carefully.

We put 3.7 quarts in when we get this type of engine into our shop for oil changes.

Warm Regards,

www.bestnissanparts.com (http:\\Best Nissan Parts

Great to see you on this board.

Question BestNissanParts : Nissan has gone to a tiny oil filter as of about 2000. I have chosen to ignore the tiny filter for my 2001 SE. I use the equivalent filter for the 1999 Max. This is the Pure ONE L14620, Mobil 1 M 110, and K&N 1010.. I realize you may not want to comment here, but have others used the Max filter for the SR20DE engine? Again I appreciate you being here.

Also for the record, I have the 2001 SE and looking very closely at the car, there are few cars, if any that are built better IMHO. The care they took in designing the little electrical stand-offs and mechanical hangers in the engine compartment are awsome. I also think the build quality is extremely good. I've been around the block (56 yrs old-Mechanical Engineer). My compliments to Nissan.

Later- I have lots more questions for you. Especially with my OBD II Scanner.