need some quickhelp. 2003 nissan sentra 1.8 crank, but no start [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: need some quickhelp. 2003 nissan sentra 1.8 crank, but no start

quickhelp
10-05-2008, 05:02 PM
2003 nissan sentra. this is not my car, it is my gf's friends. but i figured i would try to get some help here. she needs the car soon, and of course i got stuck fixing it lol.

anyways, as i said, 2003 nissan sentra 1.8l engine, about 65k on the odometer. originally she said the car needed a battery and asked if i can put one in. i said sure....put it in, no crank, no start. she said it will run when jumped though since she had someone jump it and it ran fine. anyways, i clean the battery terminals as there was some corrosion on them (more than i originally saw, ie, was all jacked on the inner side of the terminal).

now car cranks over fine, but doesnt start. hooked up my scantool. no dtcs (besides a p0420 for the cat, which she needs to get taken care of before the emissions warranty runs out). i thought, well maybe its a crank sensor issue, since in my little research ive done it seems to be common on these cars. check the scantool, watching engine rpm, i crank the car over. sure enough, engine speed varies as it should. so its not the crank sensor.

now i think ill check for fuel....but i cant find any shrader valve on the fuel rail (anyone know where it is, so i can hook up a pressure gauge and actually see what kind of pressure im dealing with?). anyways i find a junction near the firewall, separate the two fuel lines and crank the car over again. fuel pours out (again, dont know the pressure, but fuel did squirt out. yes, a very redneck way of determining if there is fuel pressure)

hmm, maybe there is no spark. i pull a coil, but alass, all my tools are at work (besides the one ratchet and 10mm socket i brough), not even a spark plug socket around :mad: . still i try to see if i can get some spark. i run a small wire inside the coil, and then place the other side onto the block. if there is spark, i should see it on the block lol. i have someone crank the car over, and it seems as if there is no spark (ill make sure on monday, when i actually can bring some tools over)

so what exactly could be causing the no spark at this point (dont know much about nissans)? i assume it could either be the wiring harness running to the coils or the pcm or ecu? i have the flow chart on testing the pcm/ecu and which pins should give what values, but id hate to waste my time on it if its not even where i should be.

ps: if i disconnect all fuel injectors and crank it over its a real quick crank. however, if i leave the fuel injectors connected as if im actually trying to use the car and crank it, the car cranks real quickly, and then after a second or two it starts to bog a little bit, but no matter how much i crank it doesnt start and just continues to bog. it does however sound like its desperately trying to start, but just cant do it. if i turn it off and try to crank again, even just 1 second later, the same thing happens, quick crank then bog ALMOST starting.

WOW, sorry for the long first post, but im trying to get all the info out :eek: thanks in advance to the guys that will post advice and werent scared away by the long post

quickhelp
10-05-2008, 08:06 PM
anyone ever had a camshaft position sensor go bad on these cars but not set a check engine light?

i was looking in all data, and nissan says the camshaft position sensor is suppose to have any resistance value BESIDES 0 or infinite, meaning between all three pins there should be some reistance. when i checked the camshaft position sensor it has a value for 2 of the pins and others show OFL aka infinite on my bluepoint dmm.

so, anyone ever had a bad cam sensor and no codes?

edit: btw, i only saw 1 camshaft position sensor, but when i look at autozone.com it says the 1.8 requires 2...

6th-speed
10-05-2008, 08:09 PM
I really don't follow all of the recalls but I think Nissan might have a free repair for your problem if it's camshaft position sensor.

EXM_04SE-RSpecV
10-05-2008, 08:14 PM
yup i think its the crank shaft position sensor though;) nissan should replace that at no cost sense it is one of the many recalls

quickhelp
10-05-2008, 08:14 PM
I really don't follow all of the recalls but I think Nissan might have a free repair for your problem if it's camshaft position sensor.
yea, i pulled the VIN today and will be calling on my lunch tomorrow to see if there are any open campaigns for this particular vehicle. im nervous about the fact though that they will have to perform diagnostic procedures, and if it happens to be the cam/crank sensor, im good as gold, however if it isnt, all of a sudden im out the diag fee and no closer to a solution :(

quickhelp
10-05-2008, 08:38 PM
****ty balls. i just checked alldata tsb's, and i guess this car is not within the vin range

:mad: +:( all at the same time

stops at 730379 and this one is a 800660

tjpitty
10-05-2008, 08:42 PM
i think the part is relatively cheap anyway to buy and replace.... i know i went to the dealership and bought both of the doommed sensors for roughly 45 to 50 buks and replaced them myself.

quickhelp
10-05-2008, 08:46 PM
i think the part is relatively cheap anyway to buy and replace.... i know i went to the dealership and bought both of the doommed sensors for roughly 45 to 50 buks and replaced them myself.
hmm, ok. ill see if i can get the parts tomorrow. hope they got a good return policy if it doesnt work :p

6th-speed
10-05-2008, 09:22 PM
yea, i pulled the VIN today and will be calling on my lunch tomorrow to see if there are any open campaigns for this particular vehicle. im nervous about the fact though that they will have to perform diagnostic procedures, and if it happens to be the cam/crank sensor, im good as gold, however if it isnt, all of a sudden im out the diag fee and no closer to a solution :(

call the stealership and asked them.
Symptom seems typical of one experienced by many.