Help! Clicking from front wheel [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: Help! Clicking from front wheel

ignite91
05-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey all;

My first time posting here, just as luck would have it, its due to trouble-shooting :)

Anyway, I've recently noticed my left (passenger) front wheel making a clicking/creaking sounds while driving. I have also had a bit of wheel shimmy at highway speeds that I've been trying to diagnose for months.

I took it to three shops to diagnose the shimmy and each told me the front end looked fine. I even paid extra at one shop to have them diagnose for wheel-bearing trouble, which they said there was none (via mechanics stethoscope). That was about three weeks ago.

About five days ago, I noticed this clicking / creaking from the front wheel... sounds almost like a washboard or something. Its short (doesn't last the whole rotation of the wheel) but its always present at any speed. It doesn't seem that turning left/right accentuates the noise.

I'm not sure if the two conditions (wheel shimmy and clicking) are related, but I suspect that they might be. I'm pretty concerned about the clicking noise.

Any thoughts? Maybe something I can poke at and report back?

Thanks!!

SHIFT_03SPECV
05-18-2008, 01:12 PM
check lugnuts or maybe a bent control arm

Black B15
05-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Hey all;

My first time posting here, just as luck would have it, its due to trouble-shooting :)

Anyway, I've recently noticed my left (passenger) front wheel making a clicking/creaking sounds while driving. I have also had a bit of wheel shimmy at highway speeds that I've been trying to diagnose for months.

I took it to three shops to diagnose the shimmy and each told me the front end looked fine. I even paid extra at one shop to have them diagnose for wheel-bearing trouble, which they said there was none (via mechanics stethoscope). That was about three weeks ago.

About five days ago, I noticed this clicking / creaking from the front wheel... sounds almost like a washboard or something. Its short (doesn't last the whole rotation of the wheel) but its always present at any speed. It doesn't seem that turning left/right accentuates the noise.

I'm not sure if the two conditions (wheel shimmy and clicking) are related, but I suspect that they might be. I'm pretty concerned about the clicking noise.

Any thoughts? Maybe something I can poke at and report back?

Thanks!!

Sounds like a CVU (Constant Velocity U-Joint) joint to me. Does it click MORE when you are turning and accelerating? If so, CVU joint.

BrianRitchie
05-18-2008, 02:04 PM
check your front axles, does it usually click while turning?

ignite91
05-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Hey all;

Thanks for the responses.

I had one of the shops I visited check for bent components. They gaged everything and say everything is straight in the front end.

The weird thing about this clicking is that it doesn't get louder as I turn to either side.
The only other description that I can provide is that it sounds like a "washboard" sound at slow wheel RPM (several clicks), and then than blurs into a single sound when at higher RPM (sounds like a single click / grind).
I would have guessed bearings, but the sound isn't constant throughout one wheel turn and it doesn't get louder when I turn to that side..

ignite91
05-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Ps.. going to go check lugnuts and axles (visually) now..

Black B15
05-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Hey all;

Thanks for the responses.

I had one of the shops I visited check for bent components. They gaged everything and say everything is straight in the front end.

The weird thing about this clicking is that it doesn't get louder as I turn to either side.
The only other description that I can provide is that it sounds like a "washboard" sound at slow wheel RPM (several clicks), and then than blurs into a single sound when at higher RPM (sounds like a single click / grind).
I would have guessed bearings, but the sound isn't constant throughout one wheel turn and it doesn't get louder when I turn to that side..

I don't know about you guys...but i get stuff stuck in my treads on my tires ALL THE TIME. I will be driving and "click......click.......click"---speed up and it speeds up too. Is that the issue for you perhaps?

ignite91
05-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Lol. . *blush*

Well, I thought I'd start with the easiest suggestion here, and I checked the lugnuts. Turns out the last shop I went to didn't torque them down properly. They were barely on. :mad:
I didn't even think of checking that because I just assumed nobody would be that careless. That upsets me quite a bit, as I drive about 40 miles a day to and from work. I think I'll go back and have a few words with them... this could've turned out much worse.
Thanks for all your suggestions!

BrianRitchie
05-18-2008, 03:26 PM
go back to that shop and tear them a new one, if that wheel had fallen off you and other motorists could have died!

armadnigeneral
05-18-2008, 05:02 PM
That happened once at the shop I work at. Car came back reporting a "crunching" noise. Lugnuts were hanging on by two turns. Once the wheel is no longer sitting on the hub...well, lug studs aren't designed to hold the car up. We're all lucky they didn't snap. The kid didn't even get fired, which is something I had plenty of words about.

Black B15
05-18-2008, 05:13 PM
I would probably raise a little hell about that. Brian and armadnigeneral are right...that is SUCH a dangerous thing. And since when do they not use the impact gun with the torque thingy on there? HOW COULD YOU MESS THAT UP?

armadnigeneral
05-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Where I work two people usually do tire rotations together. One guns the nuts off, the other takes the wheels off, switches them, puts the nuts on again, and the first guy comes back and guns them on. Once every ten months or so, the gunner may forget to tend to one wheel. They're trying to move too quickly. The mechanic I learned a lot from told me there are two rules to working on cars...first, there are never any extra parts (I dispute this one :D), and second...you can't rush things.

seekerbeta
05-19-2008, 08:44 AM
put it up on stands, and check the steering rack... mine makes a clicking when your applying the brakes....its a stupid boot on the pax side causing all the problems.

Symptoms:
Washboard feeling through the brake pedal
Clicking when driving, may go away when turning
Clicking noise gets louder, the faster you drive.

spin1078
05-19-2008, 08:58 AM
yo Seeker it was his lugs.

I would pwn the shop for that one.

ignite91
05-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Typical.

I have (had) a good relationship with the shop. Just called them up and I got the ol' smile and nod: "Oh really.. oh geez. I don't know how that could be possible, we ALWAYS check.. "..

yada yada.