risks of driving with bad cv joint [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: risks of driving with bad cv joint

plum
08-08-2007, 08:57 AM
I believe my cv joint is bad and i am working out of town until end of the month....what are the dangers of driving with a bad cv joint should i be really concerned or can this wait until i get back? thanks

adc100
08-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Depends how bad it is. Noone can tell with this. Once a bearing/cv joint with rolling elements makes noise it is in the failure mode.

pintobean11
08-08-2007, 11:47 AM
i think i drove my beater civic with a bad cv joint for about 3-4 months.

561Spec-V
08-08-2007, 12:17 PM
I believe my cv joint is bad and i am working out of town until end of the month....what are the dangers of driving with a bad cv joint should i be really concerned or can this wait until i get back? thanks
careful with that, did u hit something? because if u did it might not just be a cv joint

plum
08-08-2007, 12:27 PM
never hit anything. My car was totalled before i left so i bought the sentra. The guy told me it was just rust on the brakes but after a week or two of driving it was pretty clear that it wasnt the brakes. Everytime i turn right while driving it makes a metal on metal grinding sound... i gues i should get it looked it.

vspec1
08-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Once a bearing/cv joint with rolling elements makes noise it is in the failure mode.

Probably a good idea.

plum
08-08-2007, 12:55 PM
if i replace my axle shaft which includes the cv joint which sentra years and models are compatible?

thanks

DOHC_Holiday
08-10-2007, 03:48 PM
if i replace my axle shaft which includes the cv joint which sentra years and models are compatible?

What year/model do you have?

armadnigeneral
08-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Everytime i turn right while driving it makes a metal on metal grinding sound... i gues i should get it looked it.
It's quite likely too late. You'll be wanting to replace that now. If you bought it like that the damage was probably already done. It's when it's making a clicking noise that you can maybe save it by taking the boot off, cleaning it out, repacking it with new grease, and putting the boot back on.

There's not a whole lot of compatibility at all, because the exact axle depends on the exact engine and transmission. Buy used; if you buy a new one expect to pay between $400-500. This page can at least show you which ones are compatible: http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[39100M]+\(b15u&cPath=2837_2838_2902_2923

Runwithaknife
08-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Probably a good idea.

what that makes no sense?

Runwithaknife
08-10-2007, 10:51 PM
It's quite likely too late. You'll be wanting to replace that now. If you bought it like that the damage was probably already done. It's when it's making a clicking noise that you can maybe save it by taking the boot off, cleaning it out, repacking it with new grease, and putting the boot back on.

this really doesnt help the man at all, its wiser when messing with axles on particularly nissans to replace the entire axle

everyone keeps talking about a bad cv joint and we have yet to establish that he has one, it sounds like a steering gear to me, if you had a bad cv joint or bearing or anything of the sort it would be making noise all the time not exclusively when turning, because these are constantly being turn as the car is moving, again if its only when turning its got to be something in the steering system. but then again who can say what it is when no one has heard it or looked at it.

Solee
08-11-2007, 12:55 AM
bad cv's don't always make noise. Mine only did when I turned in my old civic and just like pinto i drove it for a while with it being bad everytime. I've replaced the driver's side in my old civic once and the passenger side twice, the first time I replaced the passenger side one I got an axle that had a small crack in the boot that I didn't pay much attention to...stupid mistake. CV joints make a clicking sound though cause there's no grease lubricating the bearings in there. If your's is making a grinding noise it could be something else.

If it is in fact the CV, I've found it a lot easier and cheaper to just replace an axle than the joint itself. Just go to a junkyard and find an axle with no tears or cracks in the boot or get a remanufactured one for a little more.

Runwithaknife
08-11-2007, 11:27 AM
^ bah dont buy one from a junkyard call advance auto and buy a moog, those are nice for what u pay.