Will not start and P0350? [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: Will not start and P0350?

02SilverGXE1
03-11-2007, 09:47 AM
I tried to start my car yesterday evening and it just would not start. Battery seemed to check okay, the fuel pump turned on (audible whine) as expected, the starter was cranking, but the car just wouldn't actually start and even pressing the gas pedal while cranking did not ever get even a partial start (e.g., start then stall)--the vehicle just refused to ever start.

I checked all visible fuses and fusible links, nothing looked like it was burned out or needed to be replaced.

I tried checking codes, and the service engine soon light did flash to indicate P0350 (Ignition Signal), so I pulled the ignition coils and started testing each one because the code did not indicate a failure for one single coil.

Here are the results of the coil testing using a Sears digital multimeter. Terminal numbers are referenced with the coil terminals viewed from left to right (= = =)...

Coil #1:
Positive lead on terminal #1, negative lead on terminal #3, multimeter set to the 2M ohm range = 0.461 M ohm.

Positive lead on terminal #1, negative lead on terminal #2, multimeter set to the 20M ohm range = 0.00 (set to 2M range shows 0.01 M ohm, set to 200K range shows 01.6 k ohm).

Coil #2:
Positive lead on terminal #1, negative lead on terminal #3, multimeter set to the 2M ohm range = 0.467 M ohm.

Positive lead on terminal #1, negative lead on terminal #2, multimeter set to the 20M ohm range = 0.00 M ohm (set to 2M range shows 0.01 M ohm, set to 200K range shows 01.5 k ohm).

Coil #3:
Positive lead on terminal #1, negative lead on terminal #3, multimeter set to the 2M ohm range = 0.466 M ohm.

Positive lead on terminal #1, negative lead on terminal #2, multimeter set to the 20M ohm range = 0.00 (set to 2M range shows 0.01 M ohm, set to 200K range shows 01.6 k ohm).

Coil #4:
Positive lead on terminal #1, negative lead on terminal #3, multimeter set to the 2M ohm range = 0.465 M ohm.

Do these coil test results look odd in any way? I don't know what the resistances are supposed to be for QG18DE ignition coils.

Obviously, I'm going to have to get the car towed to the dealership for a formal diagnosis. Any comments or suggestions?

melly mel
03-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Pull each plug one by one, attach it to the coil and crank it. See if you get spark. I don't know much about coil resistance but from what you posted, they all look similar so there should be a problem there.

First things to check when it won't start are spark and fuel.

02SilverGXE1
03-12-2007, 12:37 PM
I pulled the #1 spark plug and it was a light black color and smelled like fuel. Also noticed some moisture in the #1 cylinder area but it smelled like fuel, not coolant.

So, I replaced the #1 spark plug and tried to start the vehicle. It tried to fire up, but still didn't fully start.

I subsequently ended up replacing the remaining three spark plugs--might as well since I replaced the #1 spark plugs--and the car started right up with no other apparent problems. I noticed the same issue in all four cylinders, a bit of moisture, but smelled like fuel, not coolant.

Interestingly enough, though, the #4 spark plug was able to be removed with almost no effort, as if it wasn't properly torqued down.

Anyway, all four of the spark plugs were light black all the way up to half of the threads, and they all smelled like fuel.

In any event, I'll be taking the car to the dealership tomorrow--driving it in rather than having it towed in--and addressing the condition of the old plugs (that only had around 21,000 miles on them), as well as looking into the possibility of getting new ignition coils just in case one or more of them fails.

The car has almost 127,000 miles on it. But I'm not showing any signs of losing coolant other than the normal usage that occurs when the defogger or AC is used.

spin1078
03-12-2007, 12:42 PM
thats from flooding. Oil is what you worry about. Fouled or improperly gapped plugs is not uncommon.

Aiello11
03-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I pulled the #1 spark plug and it was a light black color and smelled like fuel. Also noticed some moisture in the #1 cylinder area but it smelled like fuel, not coolant.

So, I replaced the #1 spark plug and tried to start the vehicle. It tried to fire up, but still didn't fully start.

I subsequently ended up replacing the remaining three spark plugs--might as well since I replaced the #1 spark plugs--and the car started right up with no other apparent problems. I noticed the same issue in all four cylinders, a bit of moisture, but smelled like fuel, not coolant.

Interestingly enough, though, the #4 spark plug was able to be removed with almost no effort, as if it wasn't properly torqued down.

Anyway, all four of the spark plugs were light black all the way up to half of the threads, and they all smelled like fuel.

In any event, I'll be taking the car to the dealership tomorrow--driving it in rather than having it towed in--and addressing the condition of the old plugs (that only had around 21,000 miles on them), as well as looking into the possibility of getting new ignition coils just in case one or more of them fails.

The car has almost 127,000 miles on it. But I'm not showing any signs of losing coolant other than the normal usage that occurs when the defogger or AC is used.

hey this is probably nothing, all you should do now is definetely buy new ignition wires, take the new spark plugs out and make sure that the gap setting is correct with each spark plug, add the ignition wires, clean your MAF using MAF Only Cleaner, Add A new Filter, Change the oil and filter, and put it at the approved level, i use 4 quarts, but supposidly i heard that the correct amount for our sentra's is 3.75 but whatever floats your boat, add premium gasoline, and Lucas fuel injector cleaner, after all that, your car will be better that ever. Besides the stupid fuel pump problem that our sentras have (****ing piece of **** fuel pump) anyways yea just pretty much give a good tune up.

melly mel
03-12-2007, 10:51 PM
hey this is probably nothing, all you should do now is definetely buy new ignition wires, take the new spark plugs out and make sure that the gap setting is correct with each spark plug, add the ignition wires, clean your MAF using MAF Only Cleaner, Add A new Filter, Change the oil and filter, and put it at the approved level, i use 4 quarts, but supposidly i heard that the correct amount for our sentra's is 3.75 but whatever floats your boat, add premium gasoline, and Lucas fuel injector cleaner, after all that, your car will be better that ever. Besides the stupid fuel pump problem that our sentras have (****ing piece of **** fuel pump) anyways yea just pretty much give a good tune up.

Spec doesn't use spark plug wires.

Nevermind, I just realized he had a GXE.

Aiello11
03-13-2007, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=melly mel]Spec doesn't use spark plug wires.

Nevermind, I just realized he had a GXE.[/QUOTE

yea, anyway get this done and do it yourself, dont bring it to nissan and those robbers, do all of it, and oyu will see your baby roar