what does it take to mess up an alignment? [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: what does it take to mess up an alignment?

Matts SpecV
12-27-2006, 08:31 PM
^^as the title asks?

i had an alignment not too long ago and today i was driving to work and hit a big bump(first time, usually avoided it, but was hurrying) i hit it hard!. now the car is pulling very slightly to the left. i hit it with the front left tire. could that bump messed up my alignmet? or i hit it so hard the some air escaped and thats why its pulling so slightly, not like before the alignmet which pulled more.

SpecBee
12-27-2006, 08:47 PM
prolly not, the screws under the stearing column is really hard, u ever herd em try to adjust it...? lolol or maybe it wa sonly when they did it to my car lol but naaah even sewer caps on high, they dont affect it that soon, it usually takes a while for it to mess up check to see if the wheel is on an angel.. if you cant tell take a piece of string and wrap it around all four tires all around, do it to the top of the wheel and then the bottom of the wheel, you`ll see the string kinda dip in .. IT WORKS! lol

Runwithaknife
12-27-2006, 09:11 PM
here is how you can check to see if you need an alignment, find a straight level road, get up to 50 mph or howeverfast the speedlimit is ;) then make sure the wheel is straight, and let go do not touch it unless needed, count to 4 mississippi if the car does not pull then congrats u dont need it, if it pulls alittle its nothing worth paying for, if it pulls alot then alignment time. Try it a couple of times to be sure. Should take less than 5 mins.

zerosin
12-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Did you check your tire pressure?

ben03ser
01-20-2007, 02:10 AM
You gotta account for road crown also. Your car will normally pull to the right on most roads.If you crossed over to the other side it would pull left. Unless the road is totally flat. Is the steering wheel off? tire pressure right?

adc100
01-20-2007, 06:37 AM
Alignments are like 2000 mile oil changes. They are sold to the un-suspecting public. In 45 years of driving I have had maybe 3 alignments. I drive my vehicles over 100K miles and most never see an alignment. Total waste of money unless you have a major problem. Once you get an aligment they tend to either not be as good as origional or come out of alignment easier.

Just an opinion backed up by unknown 100's of K miles of driving in Pa (state of the worst roads in the U.S).

But to the subject..you obviously screwed something up. You had a previous aliognment.

paranoidmidget
01-20-2007, 07:42 AM
curbs.......

Strychnine
01-20-2007, 06:28 PM
If you had an alignment not too long ago it could still be under warranty so you wouldn't have to pay for another one. Where I work at our alignments have a warranty of 12 month/ 12,000 miles.... So call the place up to see if they have any kind of warranty on it.

Strychnine
01-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Alignments are like 2000 mile oil changes. They are sold to the un-suspecting public. In 45 years of driving I have had maybe 3 alignments. I drive my vehicles over 100K miles and most never see an alignment. Total waste of money unless you have a major problem. Once you get an aligment they tend to either not be as good as origional or come out of alignment easier.

Just an opinion backed up by unknown 100's of K miles of driving in Pa (state of the worst roads in the U.S).

But to the subject..you obviously screwed something up. You had a previous aliognment.

When I bought my car I had the aligment checked on it with less than 1500 miles and it was out of alignment... And you want to say that with you having 45 years of driving experienced none of your cars have been out of alignment more than 3 times?

Just because your car doesn't pull to one side doesn't mean it's still aligned correctly or you shouldn't get it checked. It causes premature tire wear, bad gas mileage and makes your car not handle aswell as it should. You can try to defend yourself but you admitted you don't do alignments on your cars so you can't say it doesn't help tire wear, gas mileage, handling, etc becuase you never driven your car with proper alignment...

It's smart to get your alignment checked once a year. No reason not to because most shops do it for FREE. So what exactly are you loosing by having it checked? Nothing. It's not like they're gonna lie and say you need an alignment because they print out the specs for you that shows your current specs and what it's supposed to be. While doing alignment checks they also check your tierods, balljoints, wheel bearings etc... If any of those parts are bad they can't align it anyway so they aren't "sold to the un-suspecting public" because if they were they would align it anyway and not even tell you they were bad..... AND if you still don't believe it, go out in the shop yourself....... You make it seem like alignments are just a way for a shop to make some money

adc100
01-20-2007, 07:28 PM
When I bought my car I had the aligment checked on it with less than 1500 miles and it was out of alignment... And you want to say that with you having 45 years of driving experienced none of your cars have been out of alignment more than 3 times?

That's what I'm saying

It's smart to get your alignment checked once a year. No reason not to because most shops do it for FREE. So what exactly are you loosing by having it checked?
Duuuhhhh..they do it for free so they can charge you money to 'fix' it (whether it needs it or not). Then when they fcuk it up they can "fix' it again. Get it? And since there is so much percieved problem with alignments they get your whole family of Homer Simpsons to come back.

BTW 86K miles on the SE and my first replaced tires will easily go another 15 K miles. Thats 50k miles per set of tires with no alignments.

DOHC_Holiday
01-21-2007, 01:16 AM
I had my GXE aligned after lowering her with Tein Basics. A few months later I had to disassemble the whole strut assembly to replace the port side CV axle. Afterward, the car didn't feel as dead-on as she did right after the alignment, but stills steers straight. I would think you would have to seriously bang up your front end to need realignment.
Oh, and pay no attention to adc100, he's a crazy right-wing conspiracy nut. He probably still has a basement full of Spam and rifle ammo from Y2K. :D

SENTRA69WARRIOR
01-21-2007, 03:11 AM
^^as the title asks?

i had an alignment not too long ago and today i was driving to work and hit a big bump(first time, usually avoided it, but was hurrying) i hit it hard!. now the car is pulling very slightly to the left. i hit it with the front left tire. could that bump messed up my alignmet? or i hit it so hard the some air escaped and thats why its pulling so slightly, not like before the alignmet which pulled more.

ive also hit many of potholes in NYC area, i usually have more often alignments.

adc100
01-21-2007, 05:18 AM
He probably still has a basement full of Spam and rifle ammo from Y2K. :D
Hahahah..no. I am anything but a conspiracy nut. I do have a bit of ammo though. :)

Strychnine
01-21-2007, 03:51 PM
That's what I'm saying

Duuuhhhh..they do it for free so they can charge you money to 'fix' it (whether it needs it or not).

Every alignment check comes with a spec sheet of your car, and the specs for what it's supposed to be. They give this to every customer, so if a customer looks at it and looks at the numbers and sees it's in spec and still wants an alignment done, that is the customers fault for being stupid. Our alignment tech is probably the best ones around here. I've been at my shop for 8 months and never seen a customer come back because of something he did while doing the alignment.

Then when they fcuk it up they can "fix' it again.

Like I said, alignments come with a warranty so you don't have to pay to correct it again.

adc100
01-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Like I said, alignments come with a warranty so you don't have to pay to correct it again.

Is the first one free?? Didn't think so. But to each his own.

evangelos K
01-23-2007, 05:02 PM
The factory, a VERY hard hit.

An aftermarket, who knows :D