Loud squeal when starting motor. [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: Loud squeal when starting motor.

McGarrett
12-04-2006, 12:34 PM
My car has been making this noise at startup for a few years now. It can be best described as a "whoop-whoop" with each crank of the starter. And it stops once the motor is running. I replaced the belts last year - no help. Noise has been getting progressively worse through the years. It only happens when the temp is in the 40s or below. Could it be the starter gear not disengaging right away? Water pump? I'm not going to replace any part until something fails but just wondering if anyone else has run into this "problem". BTW, '00 SE 5spd - no PP 79K miles. Motor & everything under the hood runs quietly aside from the start up noise. Muchas gracias...

blackb15
12-04-2006, 04:36 PM
You know that sounds exactly like a problem I am having. Only started when I put a rebuilt starter in the car, and it went away during the summer. Now that it's in the 20's-30's out, it's started again. Only happens when I am cranking the car when it's cold out. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the starter. I can live with it now, but I might just put a NEW starter in soon, although I'm not looking forward to putting it in.:(

chiquae07
12-09-2006, 12:55 AM
i have that problem too. ive heard things such as taking the starter out, putting as much lube into the gears as you can, and putting it back in removes the sound. ive just gotten used to it, as it happens when its wet or cold outside. i do have a feeling its my belts too though, as belt dressing seemed to get rid of the noise before.

sharkey
12-09-2006, 03:08 AM
it's the belt...... belt dressing or run a bar of soap under the belt it will get rid of it

blackb15
12-09-2006, 04:28 AM
No, mine's not the belt. I just put new ones on.:) It's definately the starter. It's gotten to the point where the sound is going away again, so we'll see what happens.