2001 Sentra SE Idle RPM [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: 2001 Sentra SE Idle RPM

FunkinsDesigns
04-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Hello Fellow Sentra Owners,

I searched the forum for an answer to this but could not come up with anything in regards to my Idling question and the RPM at Idle. Within the last few days I have noticed that my car (with no modifications), is no longer idling at it's normal 750RPM when warm and instead appears to be idling at around 875 instead (for the most part half way between 750-1000). In the past the car would do this while cold still but after being driven for a bit it would eventually go down to 750. What I am wondering is if this should be of concern or not?

As an extra, every so often I do put fuel injector cleaner in the tank (varies how often I do it though), and it has been colder these last few days. In the past as I mentioned the it has done this from time to time but eventually it does go back down to the resting 750RPM. Also, I have attempted to turn off the heating system to see if this would make a difference but it did not appear to make one.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

audio1der
04-05-2006, 07:59 AM
If all your regular maintenance items (air filter, plugs & wires, sensors...) are up to snuff then I wouldn't worry about it.
My $.02

FunkinsDesigns
04-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Air Filter is ok, I check that regularly. Plugs from what I can tell visually appear to be ok as well as the wires (any specifics I should look at or into?). Sensors I don't believe I have had any problems with but other than the Engine Light on the dash is there any way to tell?

I've been fairly good when it comes to maintenance. Only thing that I have not done (having 102,000km's on it), is replace the coolant and the transmission fluid.

turco
04-05-2006, 08:31 AM
PCV valve might be crusty, try to replace that

ghost_ryder35
04-05-2006, 09:02 AM
i dont think its a big deal. but I would get around to changing your coolant and tranny fluid. just make sure to keep maintence up and you should be a ok!

FunkinsDesigns
04-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Yeah, the next day I have off through the week, which won't be for a few more weeks, I plan on taking the car to my mechanic to have the coolant and transmission fluid changed. Other than that and from what I can tell everything on the car has checked out quite well and appears to be ok from what my mechanic can tell me.

Anything else?

FunkinsDesigns
04-06-2006, 07:48 AM
As an update. Last night, driving home from work the car was the same, still idling at around 875 (my guess since there are no notches between 750 and 1000). Later on in the evening, after the car had sat for about 3 hours or so and once warmed up, for the most part it was back down idling to the usual 750 after it had already been warmed up (about 10 minutes or so), and driven around a bit. However, this morning driving to work (again after having warmed the car up for 10 minutes or so), it was back idling at around 875.

Not sure if this helps at all but thought I would add it anyways.

shanno575
04-06-2006, 11:27 AM
my car always idled normally around 8-900 before the turbo (right now is a different story :D). i don't really think you have anything to worry about as long as you're keeping up with maintenance on your car

FunkinsDesigns
04-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Just thought I would post an update.

I finally got a chance today to get my coolant and transmission fluid changed and while there had my mechanic check out the higher idle. One thing that they thought it could have been was a dirty throttle body so they cleaned it out and shortly after the check engine light came on but they said it was normal after doing this so they reset the code and I was good to go.

About 5 minutes after leaving the same light came on so I went back and we hooked the computer back up only to find that it was throwing codes for the Idle Control.

Now I'm to go back at another time to get the part replaced and fixed up. Will keep everyone posted for those who are interested.

FunkinsDesigns
05-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Well, to add to the post here's what's going on now.

Got back from the mechanic today and this is what was done according to their notes:

Check Engine Lamp On
Scan test engine for codes, found P0505 idle air control valve fault. Remove & replace IAC valve, found PCV valve has weak spring, rec replacement next LOF. Perform idle relearn, adjust ignition timing to 13deg BTDC.

Now, at the moment the car is idling at around 1000, sometimes just over or just under but I have found if I turn on the AC that it goes down back to around 875RPMs or so and will fluxuate between that and 1000.

shanno575
05-03-2006, 06:50 PM
i still say try to manually adjust the rpm idle....otherwise if there is no ses light, i don't really think you have anything to worry about. i think they screwed something up when cleaning the TB. still seems like there's something small wrong, but it doesn't seem to affect the performance of the car, right?

shanno575
05-03-2006, 07:07 PM
ok nevermind i searched and it looks like manually adjusting the idle is only on b14 and older? hopefully david will chime in here

nismotion03
05-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Hey, I had the same problem. Its probably your power steering switch. Your probably wondering what the heck your power steering has to do with it right? I was told by a nissan tech. that the switch keeps your rpm up by a few hundred when your turning so that your car wont stall from the power steering using up the extra juice. If your switch is not working right, the computer will automatically keep the rpm up so the car wont stall on you. From what I remember it was a cheap fix...even at Nissan. Good Luck.

FunkinsDesigns
05-04-2006, 07:28 AM
Well, this morning driving into work the Service Engine Soon light came on once again so I gave my mechanic a call. He called me back shortly afterwards and said that him and my other mechanic buddy were talking about it after I left and they are now suggesting that I have the PCM Re-Flashed as there may have been updates to it before we continue with anything else.

Oh, I've just called Nissan and the Service Advisors there have no idea what I'm talking about and instead say that they can check the computer and reload/upload any updates to it for about $95, from what he was saying it sounds as if it would do the same thing my mechanic was talking about. Anyone know if they are talking about the same thing?

audio1der
05-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Of all of us dealing with this same problem, your mechanic seems to be the only one aware of "updates" needed to the PCM.
Why would there be updates? That doesn't make sense.

FunkinsDesigns
05-04-2006, 08:00 AM
HaHaHa... Not so much that he's aware of any updates, he's just wondering if there have been any updates or adjustments made to them. When calling Nissan this morning the 'Service Advisor' couldn't say if there were any updates or not but that they could check to see and have the computer 're-learned'

FunkinsDesigns
05-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Another Update:

Just out of curiosity I e-mailed Nissan to see what they thought about it and the Tech there responded saying that he thinks it's the whole Throttle Chamber. Just wondering what you guys thought about that? Also, does anyone have one laying around that is known to be working that I could use for testing it out? If it does work I think I would be interested in buying it from whoever as well.

SuperAkuma
05-06-2006, 11:15 AM
That sound just like what happened with my car, but I have an 03 spec v
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=130734

here is a link that might help
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2005/NTB05-073.htm

this is what nissan did to my when I took it in to get it fixed under warranty.
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=131196

FunkinsDesigns
05-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Alright, another update.

I took my car to my mechanic and he actually took it to his buddy that works at Nissan and here's the work order says:

Dealer Consult Test
Re-Learn Idle Air Volume & Throttle/Accelerator Position
Re-Test Ok
Replaced PVC Valve

So far I have had the car for a while and done about 2 or 3 hours worth of driving with it and it seems ok. The car is back idling at the normal 750 RPM.

If any other weird occurances come up I will let you guys know.

Thank you for all your help and feedback.

ghost_ryder35
05-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Alright, another update.

I took my car to my mechanic and he actually took it to his buddy that works at Nissan and here's the work order says:

Dealer Consult Test
Re-Learn Idle Air Volume & Throttle/Accelerator Position
Re-Test Ok
Replaced PVC Valve

So far I have had the car for a while and done about 2 or 3 hours worth of driving with it and it seems ok. The car is back idling at the normal 750 RPM.

If any other weird occurances come up I will let you guys know.

Thank you for all your help and feedback.
glad it was cheap and easy

FunkinsDesigns
05-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Well, I don't know if I would say it was cheap and easy when you factor in the cost of replacing the Idle Air Control which by the sounds of it may not have needed to be changed but once that was done there was no way to test that theory unfortunately.