I lost my car key..........need help [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: I lost my car key..........need help

03 black V
02-05-2006, 12:53 AM
worse day ever... I lost my car key while in I was shopping in the mall... thats my only key.......cant believe how dump I am.... got a tow back to my house.. call up the dealer... they said my car key has a chip so I asked for replacement(i dont have the key number)... so.they said I need to tow my car to them so they can replace the key and reprogram the whole thing...... so just wondering is that necessary to tow it to them? (I dont want to... coz last time(check the power window) they drove my car for 20 :mad: miles!!...I asked them why they said they try to check the power window is it working (non-scence BS) after that I never bring my car over there for service... but this time... hopefully I dont have to...
My friend told me that I can just bring my car vin number and title show the dealer and they can replace a key for me... also I dont want someone got my key and come to my parking lot drove away the car... someone please tell me what to do. dont wanna see my car towing around inthe city and gets into those non-scence dealer. Thanks

FuLIsh
02-05-2006, 01:00 AM
you have to take the car to them. your car has an immobilizer system which sends a signal to ur ecu before the car can be started. Since you dont have a key, they have to reprogram the entire system and make you a new key.

SentraGTi-R
02-05-2006, 01:22 AM
which will cost u. sorry to hear about ur luck man. what happened to the spare key they gave u?

941hurricanes
02-05-2006, 03:26 AM
probably left it in the mall too... I've lost my keys before too. It's always a good idea to keep a spare key in the house somewhere just in case granted if U lose it somewhere(like a mall) it sucks cuz ya gotta get a tow or a ride home. but at least having one at home U wouldn't have to get the dealer to reset u'r ish for ya

L.E.Sentra
02-05-2006, 03:31 AM
so i cant just go to walmart and have them make a copy? sorry for the off topic

Y2K SE
02-05-2006, 06:47 AM
so i cant just go to walmart and have them make a copy? sorry for the off topicIf your car has the Immobilizer package, no, you can't. The key has a special chip in it and must be registered to the car using a CONSULTII unit.

C*z
02-05-2006, 07:50 AM
so i cant just go to walmart and have them make a copy? sorry for the off topicIt depends. In the case of Spec Vs(which I see you don't have) if you have the Rockford Fosgate package and I believe, the fold-down seats, then you have the immobilizer, and no, Walmart/Lowes/etc can't copy it. Not sure about the options/combos of other Sentras. My mom's GXE has the security system, and it also has the immobilizer I believe.

Make sure you really have it though. The cars that don't have the immobilizer have keys that look like they have chips in them even though they don't. I bought my car used and it only came with one key, so I went to 3 separate dealers to get another one...and all 3 swore up and down from looking at my key that it had a chip in it(one of them even ran my VIN). They were, of course, wrong as hizzy(and I knew that because I didn't have the RF package/fold down seats). Finally, I got tired of rolling my eyes, went to Lowes, had a key made for a buck fifty, and shock/gasp, it works just fine.

One thing though...these keys are a size/shape that a lot of places don't carry. I had to go to a couple Walmarts and 3 separate Loweses before I found one that had the right Axxess key(#38) in stock.

turco
02-05-2006, 09:02 AM
why dont you just go back to the mall and revisit every store you went to? Usually they will keep the keys for a week or so.

L.E.Sentra
02-05-2006, 12:42 PM
lost and found?

and i dont have the r/f package but i do have fold down seats. is there any way to know if i have the immobilizer?

FuLIsh
02-05-2006, 11:00 PM
you can go to anystore and copy the key. it will open the doors and trunk but it wont start the car. you'll need the programmed key to start the car.

Spec Jay
02-05-2006, 11:43 PM
if your outside your car look at the top of the dash(where it meets the windshield) if theres no blinking light then you dont have the immobilizer

L.E.Sentra
02-06-2006, 12:12 AM
damn, got the blinky light. thanks for the info guys

03 black V
02-07-2006, 12:00 PM
got my car tow at mid night(no much people see it) to the dealer yesterday....its fix within an hour... new key new remote....with programmed...$200 please.......gonna be careful from now on..

SE-Mark
02-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Here's a question that's been bugging me. If both the key you use all the time, and your spare key work to start to the car, the chip in the key must be static (ie it doesn't ever change the code). So wouldn't a dealer have that code on record?

Y2K SE
02-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Each key has its own, unique fixed code that never changes. Well, there is some sort of a fixed code pool size, for some reason I think its about 65k possibilites. However, the NVIS module can hold up to five codes at a time. So, your regular keys and valet key will have different codes, but all be registered to start the car.

SE-Mark
02-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Each key has its own, unique fixed code that never changes. Well, there is some sort of a fixed code pool size, for some reason I think its about 65k possibilites. However, the NVIS module can hold up to five codes at a time. So, your regular keys and valet key will have different codes, but all be registered to start the car.

Oh, I see. I was thinking the NVIS module would only hold 1 code for some reason. So it must remember each key individually and what code it stored into that key. Then it changes that key when you shut off the car. Very neat stuff, I'm amazed that it works without glitches (i've never heard of any glitches anyway).

L.E.Sentra
02-07-2006, 05:17 PM
this is all hypothetical so bare with me, if i ever break my key with the chip, and glue the chip part of the key to the steering wheel, the key copy, from wal mart, would work then?

Y2K SE
02-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Oh, I see. I was thinking the NVIS module would only hold 1 code for some reason. So it must remember each key individually and what code it stored into that key. Then it changes that key when you shut off the car. Very neat stuff, I'm amazed that it works without glitches (i've never heard of any glitches anyway).No, it does not change or reprogram the key. The "code" on the key is actually just a resistor tuned to a specific frequency and therefore set when the key is made. There's a device in the ignition cylinder that reads the resistance frequency and passes that to the NVIS module for authentication.

The reprogramming done with a CONSULTII simply reads the resistor frequency of each key and stores it in the NVIS module. It can hold up to five different values.

Y2K SE
02-07-2006, 10:15 PM
this is all hypothetical so bare with me, if i ever break my key with the chip, and glue the chip part of the key to the steering wheel, the key copy, from wal mart, would work then?Maybe. It depends how far the reader in the lock cylinder can reach. Most people who get remote start systems tape a registered key (a key that has been programmed into the NVIS module) underneath the dash panel.

Uafan
02-08-2006, 10:53 PM
It depends. In the case of Spec Vs(which I see you don't have) if you have the Rockford Fosgate package and I believe, the fold-down seats, then you have the immobilizer, and no, Walmart/Lowes/etc can't copy it. Not sure about the options/combos of other Sentras. My mom's GXE has the security system, and it also has the immobilizer I believe.

I have a 2004 1.8S without the Rockford Fosgate Package, however I do have folding seats. I do not have a security package (no alarms, no light on dash) however i do have the immobilizer package.

Y2K SE
02-09-2006, 05:40 AM
I have a 2004 1.8S without the Rockford Fosgate Package, however I do have folding seats. I do not have a security package (no alarms, no light on dash) however i do have the immobilizer package.According to Edmunds, the '04 1.8S does not have the Immobilizer system available, and on Nissan's '06 configurator, it's a package deal with the security system and also isn't available on any of the 1.8 models, including the 1.8S.

Uafan
02-09-2006, 06:33 AM
I got it used and abused from a rental company, so i didn't buy it new. Howeveri went to home depot, and made a key, it could unlock the car, but couldnt start it.