hard shifting auto tranny [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: hard shifting auto tranny

bobby '01 SE
09-03-2001, 10:59 PM
i tried to find something under "search" and couldnt find what i was looking for although i'm sure it might have been discussed before. When i accelerate with normal conditions, 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear shift hard on AOD. If i floor it it shifts smooth and if i barely get on it it shifts smooth but usually in medium acceleration the tranny shifts hard feeling like it wants to be pegged higher. I'm guessing it's because its the SE model so the tranny wont be as smooth cause its the performance model. You guys get the same problem with your auto SE's?

rkell
11-27-2002, 02:36 PM
I'm new to this group and was reviewing
previous threads when I saw yours.

Whatever happened to your tranny?

My 2001 Sentra SE auto had to be replaced
earlier this year at abut 35,000 miles. It
started out with a chirping sound when it
shifted from 2nd to 3rd gear...got louder
over the next 3 -4 months... and was
difficult to shift at the end just before I lost
3rd gear altogether... I got a new tranny
installed under warranty.

jnaks
11-27-2002, 07:27 PM
you know you will probably find that nissan engines shift better when you push them a bit more. that's what i found. I have an 02 SE-R auto...and first seems to shift a lot later than 3k. Seems like its pushing it a bit...then shifts hard. However...push the petal in a bit more from the begining, and the shift seems a lot smoother. Tranny seems like it doesn't like "soccer-mom" speeds...wants just a bit more. I'm not saying floor it...just push in a bit and see if it seems smoother.

deadrx7conv
11-27-2002, 07:46 PM
If the automatic transmission's shift feel changes with mileage added, have the ATF flushed. Use a quality synthetic ATF and perform regular drain/refills.

Also, check your motor/trans mounts.