3rd Gear problem... [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: 3rd Gear problem...

Bonesmuggler
07-21-2001, 04:53 PM
A few nights ago 3rd gear grinded for some odd reason, I was driving very hard and I shifted right before red quickly into 3rd and it grinded, hears the problem, it now does it every time I quickly shift into 3rd at high rpms. If I pause for a spilt second in between 2nd and 3rd its fine, it happens only when I shift very quickly and at high rpm's and the clutch is on the floor when it happens, I never had a problem doing this before, any thoughts? I Really don't want to have the tranny case cracked open at 10k miles.

Bonesmuggler
07-22-2001, 07:44 PM
Anyone have any thoughts?

naddie
08-01-2001, 08:20 PM
I got that same problem. For some reason, I also get the tranny/gears to grind randomly (once in a while).

Also, some gears (esp 1st and R) feels like it is enganged, but it isn't...causing me to rev the engine and finding out my car isn't in gear! Sometimes I find it really hard to get it in the first gear THE FIRST TIME so I don't embarass myself. Same for the R gear. I hate that!

When it works, the shifter feels great. But when one problem like that occurs, it makes you weary about your tranny.

pugnex
08-01-2001, 09:40 PM
I know that in my car I can't shift into 1st unless my car is completely stopped. Does anyone know why this is?

iLLt3cK
08-01-2001, 11:00 PM
I don't think that it is so much of a car problem, but the third gear I find is oddly placed in the gear box, so if at high rpms you don't hit it exactly you will hear that oh so wonderful noise of grinding gears. I'm not sure about the R and 1st gears but I get that as well sometimes. I thought there was something wrong with my synchros in 3rd gear but then I got the short shifter and it made my shifting more precise, haven't grinded 3rd since.

Crimson
08-02-2001, 12:46 AM
Hey pugnex, I believe that the 1st gear thing is a safety percaution. I know my gf complained about it when you first got the car so I read the manual. You have to go left and right in neutral before putting it in and even then it depends what speed you're going at. Well I know my SE and my gf's does it this way. I don't think its recommended to downshift into 1st.....I certainly would never want to try, its too short and probably puts too much stress on the tranny.

Jdog-X
08-02-2001, 06:55 AM
Hmmmm...I can downshift into first anytime I'm at 15mph or below...I haven't had that problem. I haven't had a third gear problem either. Come to think of it...I don't think I've grinded a single gear since I've owned this car!:) If that third gear problem happens more often..I guess it could be a syncro going bad.

adc100
08-02-2001, 07:13 AM
Very bad for trans. Small pieces of gear come off and then cause more wear. Either your technique is not quite right or a syncro is shot. Do something-though. Don't grind the gears. I have an auto so I really don't know about the 3 rd gear pecularities. But having driven manuals for 40 years. I don't ever recall having a gear that you couldn't learn to hit right every time.

1st gear- thats another story. even though it has a synchronizer its difficult to get there with car moving. No need to. As was mentioned before going to 2 nd and then 1 st usually helps. Same for R -either 4 th or OD.

MikeJ
08-02-2001, 11:46 AM
I drive my car like a little old lady. Every single gear goes in the first time and all the time. Gotta make sure you're at the correct engine speed/vehicle speed when shifting. Third gear is a little off like iLL3tck says and you just got work with it. Never grinded my gears. Very bad for your ego and your tranny

Maximus2K1Sntra
08-02-2001, 12:54 PM
I grinded second gear in my friends zx2, I am not supposed to drive his car anymore, but grinding is very bad. I would say take it to nissan, and see what they say. they may fix it under warrenty.

MTLSentra
08-02-2001, 03:14 PM
When you are shifting quickly, just make sure that the clutch is all the way in and you shouldn't have any problems. It's happened to me on occasion, but this is also my first M/T. Now i think i've worked out all the little tricks of this particular tranny.

Also, i don't think that the car likes it when you go from a gear other than 2nd into 1st. If you come off the highway in 5th and slow down to a stop, it won't go to 1st unless you REALLY force it. Same even from 3rd gear. Have to let it rest in neutral and make a complete stop and make sure once again that the clutch is all the way in. I also noticed that when going into reverse, you have to be coming from 1st gear, or else that will have to be force too.

Maybe it's best these safeties are there. When the lever doesn't go into a gear, it's trying to save your gears, not piss you off. Trust me, you'd be way more pissed if you had to pay for the parts and labour of replacing a gear!

pugnex
08-02-2001, 04:14 PM
The only reason I would wanna shift to 1st is when I am in stop and go traffic and I am goin about 10mph in 2nd, then need to slow down again, but not slow enough to shift to 1st but still too slow to bog the engine down while trying to go at 5mph in 2nd. Also, does anyone know how much it would be for a new gear box?

adc100
08-02-2001, 06:33 PM
around 2 grand for remanufactured unit and labor.

pugnex
08-02-2001, 06:40 PM
That seems really high. I mean it's only $500 for a brand new clutch and install, you can get a low mile engine for our cars, well older ones, for around $500 as well.

adc100
08-02-2001, 09:09 PM
500 for an engine is junk yard prices. No remanufacturing here. And remember remanufactured is one step above "rebuilt". You don't want rebuilt. Correct me if I'm wrong-someone.

pugnex
08-02-2001, 09:12 PM
Is remanufactured like new parts? If I were to spend that much on a new tranny I might as well get a brand new one. I know that engines can cost a lot, but when I did searches for b12 engines I found some with only 45000 miles for like $500

adc100
08-03-2001, 10:24 AM
But the difference between "remanufactured" and "rebuilt" is that in rebuilt they replace seals and parts that are worn. In "remanufactured" they measure all wear parts and replace those that do not meet specs for new parts. In theory a remanufactured part could be better than a new part because there is more individual inspection. I suspect you would have a difficult time getting a "new" trans from nissan. I say that because my auto trans failed after a couple of hundred miles and Nissan supplied me with a "remanufactured" one. I was unhappy, but I would have had to go to court to get this changed. I would have lost the court case. Call Nissan and get a quote on a new one and a "remanufactured"one.

I assume your 500 dollar engine was neither rebuilt or remanufactured. It was "steam cleaned" (maybe).

pugnex
08-03-2001, 10:34 AM
Yeah I know, they just take the engines from the junk yard and clean them and then sell them for $500. Still it's not a bad deal for someone wanting to keep their late 80's early 90's nissan alive.

2001SE
08-05-2001, 01:29 AM
Take it into the dealership to get it looked at... I took it in one of the guys drove my car and replicated the situation and VOILA I take my synchronizer to get fixed in 2 weeks. I never grinded my gears on the sentra before the problem either :rolleyes:

sr20reNaISSANce
08-05-2001, 06:29 AM
i have about all of the tranny problems combined. clutch is probably gone too. hard to get into 1st, R. 3rd grinds. is it possible to get some kind of recall or dealer warrenty?

Bonesmuggler
08-07-2001, 10:29 PM
Did you drive with the tech, I'm just concerned they won't drive it aggresive enough to duplicate the problem, I don't want to hear some b.s. like don't shift at such a high rev...

doodledo824
08-08-2001, 08:36 AM
bonesmuggler,,i have the same exact problem with my 2000 g20 . this was not a problem when i first got the car but i guess a year of pushing it has gotten to it. i took it too the dealer and i was told that quick and hard shifting constitutes abuse and they would not pay to fix the problem. my car doesn't even chirp second anymore. honestly i think the tranny is just weak i had a 91 sentra xe with 140,000 miles and not once did i ever have a quality issue with that trans. my brother has a sentra se w/pp ,i'm gonna start driving it a little more now that he's on vacation for a month in spain. i'll beat the snot out of it for the next 30 days and i ll bet my left nut the same thing will happen...i'll get back to you. oh one more thing the grinding only seems to happen at redline or during a quick shift...try shifting quickly at low rpms and see if it happens too. I know mine does.

Y2K SE
08-08-2001, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by doodledo824
bonesmuggler,,i have the same exact problem with my 2000 g20 . this was not a problem when i first got the car but i guess a year of pushing it has gotten to it. i took it too the dealer and i was told that quick and hard shifting constitutes abuse and they would not pay to fix the problem. my car doesn't even chirp second anymore. honestly i think the tranny is just weak i had a 91 sentra xe with 140,000 miles and not once did i ever have a quality issue with that trans. my brother has a sentra se w/pp ,i'm gonna start driving it a little more now that he's on vacation for a month in spain. i'll beat the snot out of it for the next 30 days and i ll bet my left nut the same thing will happen...i'll get back to you. oh one more thing the grinding only seems to happen at redline or during a quick shift...try shifting quickly at low rpms and see if it happens too. I know mine does.

I'll never let you borrow my car...

sr20reNaISSANce
11-16-2001, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by 2001SE
Take it into the dealership to get it looked at... I took it in one of the guys drove my car and replicated the situation and VOILA I take my synchronizer to get fixed in 2 weeks. I never grinded my gears on the sentra before the problem either :rolleyes:

hey, could you help me out and send your warrenty invoice for this?? i really would appreciate this cause i got the same problems. i remember there was somebody else who was willing to give me their invoice but forgot who it was. if anybody took it in and got it fixed....PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!!! I NEED THE INVOICE!!! my dealer over here are pricks!...they dont believe a word I say! i need back up, help my out, thanks.

doodledo824
11-16-2001, 01:58 AM
well i got a new clutch put in my g and guess what the third gear problem is gone , i guess it wasn't the tranny after all.

2000SR20
11-16-2001, 07:24 AM
Bonesmuggler, if your car has 10,000 miles you should take it to the dealer and they should fix it free of charge. You shouldn't even have to worry about the cost of a new tranny. The reverse problem, well the car won't go into reverse unless if you're pretty much stopped. As for downshifting into first, all I can say is heel and toe. You need to match revs or else it will never happen. The synchros in the tranny will all be spinning at the wrong speeds and never engage. Lastly, for all of you with Performance Packages, remember that you should change the tranny fluid on 5sp cars with LSD every 15K miles. This is very important for the life of the LSD and the entire transmission for that matter. When you change the fluid, go with a aynthetic gear oil like Redline or Royal Purple. These oils are so much better than the factory crap that the way the car shifts will change completely. My$.02