radiator only warm but car overheating? [Archive] - B15sentra.net - Nissan Sentra Forum

: radiator only warm but car overheating?

cubanprince1
02-28-2005, 02:59 PM
I have an sr20de-t with gti-r rods, arias pistons, hks 264 step 1 cams, etc. Well, i drove my car to ft.myers which is 2 hours away from where i live (tampa,fl). On the way there the water temps were at around 210 and it would start going over once in a while. When this happened i would turn the heat all the way up and it would stay around there and eventually it would drop just a tad bit but still stayed at about 210. I had the heat on most of the way. One time it almost went to 230! I got pissed and i raced my friend with a trans am and the temps dropped back to like 210. I guess from all the air coming in. Well, when i got to my friend's house in ft.myers (who will attempt to fix my car) the oil lpressure dropped to like 15 psi. It did this same thing last time it overheated. My oil pressure is usually around 20 psi. Well, i get to my friend house and tell him to pop his hood on his turbo spec-v (car had been running). If you touch his radiator and radiator hoses, you'll get burned. Its that hot. Now on my car you could put your hand on the radiator and on the radiator hoses and it was only warm. I mean....wtf!? Oh, and he's only running one fan! Any ideas? My car overheated before and i took it to a local shop who retorqued head bolts, did a compression test (160 all across), and did a leak down test which all turned out good. Also, put in a new thermostat. Also, when the temps are that high like around 210 and i stop to let it cool off, i turn it back on after like 30 - 45 minutes and while idling it reads like 180 - 195 but as soon as i put it in gear and drive it the temps shoot right back up to 210. Any ideas? Help.

Norlandt

JP
02-28-2005, 03:13 PM
210 is not hot, thats normal when you are getting on it. My NA in the winter reads around 180 while crusing, if I get on it for a while it will hit 210. While Idle my oil pressure reads around 15, when I get on it it goes up to 75 or so.

I can't tell you why you might be overheating, but everything you post seems normal.

SR20dee
02-28-2005, 03:15 PM
what are you using for coolant?

how much boost are you running.

there are lots of things that can cuase over heating and the sensors to spike like that..

air in system is big.. likewise is coolant and pressure.(pressure read radiator cap)

adc100
02-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Thermostats can be bad when new. Try putting another one in. Make sure radiator is full when cold. If it's not one of these you have a bad water pump. An outside possibility is a cracked head. Another outside possibility is clogged radiator.

cubanprince1
02-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Well, im using my qr radiator that came with the car on the sr20. I want to change the radiator because it has dents and stuff all over. Me and Travis usded epoxi on a part that was leaking once. But it still holds water in lol. Other than that, im running 15 psi of boost. All the way to ft. myers i was going about 70 - 80 out off boost of course. When i got on it to race my friend it actually dropped a bit in water temps. But when i would slow down it would go up. Like almost getting to the line between 210 and 250 on the gauge which i guess its 230. Thats why i put the heat on full blast. It usually reads 19 - 20 psi of oil pressure but last time before it overheated the oil pressure dropped to 15psi and a little lower. So im like wtf!? Travis says that when it gets hot the oil gets thinner and it reads less pressure. But the thing is, when you touch the radiator and the lines, theyre only warm. I mean, Matt's (onelowsonoma) radiator and hoses were so hot that if u touched it you would get burned. Thats why im confused. You guys say 15psi of oil pressure on an sr is normal!? Wow....

cubanprince1
02-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Thermostats can be bad when new. Try putting another one in. Make sure radiator is full when cold. If it's not one of these you have a bad water pump. An outside possibility is a cracked head. Another outside possibility is clogged radiator.Well, after it overheated on me (which i boiled teh water out of the tank) i took it to a local shop. They performed a compression test (160 all across) and a leak down test which came out good. They also retorqued the head bolts a bit which they said were a bit loose. They put a new thermostat in. Unless they put a high *** thermostat in because we really dont know what year the motor is. I mean, im out of ideas. I guess my best bet right now is to get an aftermarket high performance radiator and a low thermostat?

Maxx
02-28-2005, 03:32 PM
You might try bleeding the system. You could have air in cooling system which is reducing its efficiency. If your radiator and hoses aren't hot, that means that coolant isn't circulating properly. I would try a different thermostat and thoroughly bleed the system. You might also want to back flush the radiator to make sure there is no blockage there.

cubanprince1
02-28-2005, 08:41 PM
So, my friend who is working on it says that it has alot of air in the system but every once in a while he has to put a quart of fluid in. Bubbles keep coming out and idling the car will barely go over 150. Tomorrow he will do that test where u pressurize the system with a pump-like device you hook up to where the radiator cap goes to see if it is the headgasket or something. But a local mechanic did a compression test and a leak down test and it all came out good. Can it still somehow be a headgasket? If not, what the **** can it be? Also, im using a pretty beat up qr25de radiator with my new sr20. I heard that the qr radiators move water up and down instead of side to side like most radiators?

Norlandt

cortrim1
03-01-2005, 05:54 AM
I had the same issue with my sr20 and found that I had a huge air pocket in the cooling system. I also found my radiator needed to be replaced. your oil pressure will drop as it heats up. if you are worried about your oil pressure check the pick up in the pan. if the pick up gets cloaged you will run hot. btw 210deg is normal for a sr20.

cubanprince1
03-01-2005, 11:13 AM
ok, well i went to a local nissan shop (zfever) and they had an s14 there and a 200sx with a gti-r motor. They both have koyo radiators and they both have the hose coming out of the thermostat hooked up to the bottom outlet on the radiator and the hose coming from where the hot water comes out of the block to to top outlet on the radiator. On my car with the qr radiator the bottom is hooked up to where the hot water is coming out of the block and the top is hooked up to the thermostat. Does this mean that my hoses are wrong? wtf.... Also, i talked to the mechanic that worked on my car when it overheated. He said he didnt put a new thermostat in there, he just gutted mines. So i guess its as if there was no thermostat in there? But then how come i see a sudden drop in the gauge sometimes...liek idling one time it went from 195 down to 180.

Norlandt

Original Mr Sentra
03-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Are you running a Nismo thermostat? Did you bleed and redo your coolant yet?

cubanprince1
03-01-2005, 11:56 AM
No nismo thermostat.....im looking into getting one now.

cortrim1
03-01-2005, 12:07 PM
ok, well i went to a local nissan shop (zfever) and they had an s14 there and a 200sx with a gti-r motor. They both have koyo radiators and they both have the hose coming out of the thermostat hooked up to the bottom outlet on the radiator and the hose coming from where the hot water comes out of the block to to top outlet on the radiator. On my car with the qr radiator the bottom is hooked up to where the hot water is coming out of the block and the top is hooked up to the thermostat. Does this mean that my hoses are wrong? wtf.... Also, i talked to the mechanic that worked on my car when it overheated. He said he didnt put a new thermostat in there, he just gutted mines. So i guess its as if there was no thermostat in there? But then how come i see a sudden drop in the gauge sometimes...liek idling one time it went from 195 down to 180.

Norlandt

running your fans all the time is not good over 30mph you are hurting your cooling abiltiy. I would suggest getting a custom radiator made.

Original Mr Sentra
03-01-2005, 12:07 PM
You should run distilled water with water wetter and a splash of coolant, Nismo thermostat and see how that runs. I'm surprised that you are having so much cooling problems with your fans being on all the time. Mine only kick on at 212 and I never see anything higher than that ever. Definitely get your coolant changed out and bleed properly as soon as possible with Nismo thermostat installed.

cubanprince1
03-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Yes, ill make sure to do that....Im gonna try some distilled water with water wetter. Gonna switch the radiator hoses and see if that helps any. Matt is gonna pressurize the cylinders today to make sure its not a head gasket. He said he saw so many bubbles in there. Looks like symptoms of a head gasket. But, theres no smoking or oil in water/water in oil. Lets keep our fingers crossed. Im trying to get an aluminum radiator for a 00 - 01 se sentra from jamie at powertech but he's closed till the 8th. Anyone know where else i can get one? Also, how will the fans running all the time hurt me after 30mph?

Thanx,

Norlandt

cortrim1
03-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Yes, ill make sure to do that....Im gonna try some distilled water with water wetter. Gonna switch the radiator hoses and see if that helps any. Matt is gonna pressurize the cylinders today to make sure its not a head gasket. He said he saw so many bubbles in there. Looks like symptoms of a head gasket. But, theres no smoking or oil in water/water in oil. Lets keep our fingers crossed. Im trying to get an aluminum radiator for a 00 - 01 se sentra from jamie at powertech but he's closed till the 8th. Anyone know where else i can get one? Also, how will the fans running all the time hurt me after 30mph?

Thanx,

Norlandt

have you ever noticed that the fans do not come on when you are driving in a normal car. the reason is turbulence created by the fan effects the cooling efficency in a negative way. I have my fans setup to come on manually but do use the switch when I am driving.

http://www.absoluteradiator.com/ProductPage.asp?idProd=71

cubanprince1
03-01-2005, 01:53 PM
thats the wrong radiator. Already tried that. I think thats the qr radiator. Im looking for an sr one because of where the outlets sit at. Sr radiator :

http://www.b15sentra.net/david/gallery/fans/DSCF1079
This is david's radiator. He was kinf enough to send me this pic. Now i need that one but high performance and aluminum.

Norlandt

Original Mr Sentra
03-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Man, Jamie does sell a nice radiator for your car, but you're going to have to wait. Try getting an email out to him and drop a phone call and leave a message for him. Let us know how everything works out after you redo your coolant.